ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Where is Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0??

<< < (4/10) > >>

moerl:
can you give me and idea of what you typically do with photoshop elements, i.e. do you transfer your photos from camera to hard drive then pick out certain ones and give them a specific tag, then tag some others, and then a few more, etc. until you have tagged every image.

or do you tag a few and then organise the rest by their date or some other attribute.

i'm curious as to your none folder specific method.
-nudone (March 29, 2006, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
As a first action, I try to tag ALL images so I have them all organized. So..

1. I add all images I have to the catalogue. As a result ALL images are browsable from inside the application because they are in APE's catalogue.
2. I then start tagging. I create relevant tags as I go.. places, people, and make subdivisions of tags, like "family" and "friends" for people, for example.
3. I have views for tagged and untagged as I go, to easily be remember to keep up with what I've already tagged and with what has not yet been tagged.

That's how it works for me. What I find annoying about ACDSee is that even though I've added all images to its catalogue, I see no way to browse them without still depending on the actual folders the images are in. I've been looking for a BROWSE CATALOGUE option everywhere but could not find it. So even though ACDSee has catalogued all the images I have in my collection, it still depends on folders for browsing? That sucks. That's where, IMHO, APE has it beat completely. And this is a huge and important difference :(

moerl:
Shit! Nevermind.. THE IMAGE WELL is what I was looking for, and ACDSee totally has it! Sweetness. Finally. Aaaaaaaaah great. Truly great! Still.. I like how APE has "image stacking" and also calls sub-items of tag categories image TAGS and not actually CATEGORIES. I mean.. under PEOPLE I usually put people's names, so it's awkward ACDSee calls the names CATEGORIES as well, when really they're just tags. APE makes more sense in that respect. But APE does not have a duplicate image finder tool built-in, nor are its editing features as good as ACDSee's I suppose. Then again I shouldn't be saying that because I've just about never used either one's image editing features. I just imagine ACDSee's are better. Whatever. God damn. Now to REtag my entire image collection. Shit.

moerl:
In ACDSee, is there an easy way to REMOVE images from the catalogue? ACDSee picked up all kinds of files I really don't want in my image catalogue. Example in the screenshot. All the Skype files and the ones with no real thumbnails should be dropped from the database.

nudone:
thanks for the explanation. it's very interesting to hear the comparison between acdsee and photoshop elements. when i've got a moment i'll try and see if there is a method of using acdsee that is more akin to what you are used to.

i'm just looking at this quickly but i'll look closer if you need the help.

it seems you've got 'show all files' enabled under the 'filters' setting. if you disable that i think you'll get rid of a lot of the thumbs. if that doesn't work then it looks like a weird problem.

there doesn't appear to be a way of quickly excluding specific files from the database. you can exclude entire folders but i doubt that is what you want to hear. would creating an 'exclude' tag work?

just a quick edit: with the 'exclude' tag, you'd still have to use a folder method i think, i.e. everything that's in the excluded category would have to be in a particular folder(s) - not really what you are after i admit.

nudone:
or you could use the 'hidden' attribute which can be turned on and off quite quickly inside acdsee - not very good for how you'll have to view files throughout the rest of your operating system.

i was trying to figure out a way to do more selective searching/viewing using '-' to in quick search to exclude categories but it doesn't really do the job of what you want. you could try this as it half helps...

create 'keywords' tags: 'exclude' and 'include'

assign 'include' to ALL your images and then also assign 'exclude' to the files you want to keep out of the viewing panel. if you then 'quick search' using: include -exclude

you'll see all images bar those with the 'exclude' tag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version