ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Where is Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0??

<< < (6/10) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Another one which has had good reviews (particularly for Pro work) is iView MediaPro 3 (tthere is an earlier version available for non-Pro use). Not cheap but looks interesting. If you are interested in pro digital photography there is currently an off at http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/HotNews/iViewpromoFeb06.aspx for a "CaptureOne Pro and iView Media Pro" (if you are feeling rich).

moerl:
thanks for the explanation. it's very interesting to hear the comparison between acdsee and photoshop elements. when i've got a moment i'll try and see if there is a method of using acdsee that is more akin to what you are used to.

i'm just looking at this quickly but i'll look closer if you need the help.

it seems you've got 'show all files' enabled under the 'filters' setting. if you disable that i think you'll get rid of a lot of the thumbs. if that doesn't work then it looks like a weird problem.

there doesn't appear to be a way of quickly excluding specific files from the database. you can exclude entire folders but i doubt that is what you want to hear. would creating an 'exclude' tag work?

just a quick edit: with the 'exclude' tag, you'd still have to use a folder method i think, i.e. everything that's in the excluded category would have to be in a particular folder(s) - not really what you are after i admit.
-nudone (April 04, 2006, 02:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
I assume you've read my latest long post about the differences from this afternoon. That's the best one yet, with the most specific information about differences. I must say I'm not sure what to do at this point. Aside from the stack feature and the somewhat more logical handling of tag/category names inside the application and the on-tag-thumbnailing in APE.. I suppose ACDSee works much the same way. One other advantage of ACDSee is that it starts up WAY faster due to being meant more as an image viewer rather than mainly an image organizer, which is one of APE's main features.

I prefer another product not included in the Image Manager Shootout.  IMatch 3, available at www.photools.com, is very powerful and reasonably priced.
-david.intp (April 04, 2006, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
As I said, I WILL have to check this out. I remember it being very powerful, so I'm very curious to see what they've done with the latest version. Thanks for the reminder!

Another one which has had good reviews (particularly for Pro work) is iView MediaPro 3 (tthere is an earlier version available for non-Pro use). Not cheap but looks interesting. If you are interested in pro digital photography there is currently an off at http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/HotNews/iViewpromoFeb06.aspx for a "CaptureOne Pro and iView Media Pro" (if you are feeling rich).
-Carol Haynes (April 04, 2006, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I checked out their website and was very impressed especially with how deeply iView seems to be involved with the photography world. They're present at pro photography conferences, work with professional photography magazines and claim to be the leading management tool especially for professionals. While it looks VERY attractive and is even far more than a "mere" digital photo management tool, but rather a media management tool because it supports just about all media formats in existence, the price of $199 is steep as hell. Who among us here would be willing to pay that?

moerl:
Found a review for iMatch: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/Imatch.shtml. It's favorable :)

nudone:
your views on photoshop elements has been very illuminating. i'm beginning to get an urge to try it again. i tested it when doing the shootout but i may have been unfairly biased against it. the tagging method you've described certainly sounds like a good organising method. the start up speed would annoy me if it's slower than acdsee as i tend to open and close programs very often rather than leaving them running all day. or, more importantly, i may just want to check a single image for a few seconds and then move onto other things - i certainly wouldn't want to wait for photoshop elements to open up just for that.

also i guess i'm not much of a tagger - though, i do see it the way of the future.

maybe i'll give photoshop elements a quick once over but as i gave up using adobe bridge because of it's startup delay i think acdsee is probably what is most suited to me.

perhaps we just sit in different camps - there are those of us that still feel most comfortable with the logic and order of a tree hierarchy and then there of those of us that appreciate the power of the tagging system.

Carol Haynes:
Can't help feeling the APE will take longer than Bridge to load as it has to load the whole of APE (including font tables and startup plugins).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version