ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Where is Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0??

(1/10) > >>

moerl:
OMG.. the new forum KICKS ASS and is soooooo beautiful :). Sweet. Anyway.. the one tool that's not at all in the review is what I'm currently using. What I need with images is mainly an ORGANIZER, and an efficient, fast and good one at that. I'm at a loss as to why Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 was reviewed, but not Elements 4.0? I mean Album 2.0 is SO "obsolete"! Elements 4.0 is what Album 2.0 turned into, after going through being Elements 3.0 or even Album 3.0? I'm confused on that one. Anyway.. I need to check out the new ACDSee Pro review. Generally, how are ACDSee's management capabilities? I don't really care for the editing so much. There a plenty of other programs that I can edit images with. The excellent and free Paint.NET for example.

Anyone?

Carol Haynes:
I think the confusion arises from the fact that PhotoShop Elements didn't start out as an organiser. It is also relatively expensive (although probably worth it if you edit digital photos in particular). Adobe seem to be going out of their way to combine as many functions as possible into every package they produce. A good example is in the full version pro products come with Adobe Bridge which is really a jack of all trades and pulls together all the Adobe Pro apps into a common interface. Lots of people really like it, but it is yet another application to learn - there are whole books just on Bridge !!! I agree with you about Album though - I bought a copy of it but never really used it as it was incredibly unstable (I don't think I ever used it for more than about 30 minutes without it crashing).

I used to use ACDSee (umpteen versions) but don't any more as I found their support for Canon RAW files abysmal - check out FastStone - seems to do most things ACDSee does, is more stable in my experience and is totally free!

nudone:
which canon camera are you using, Carol?

i've not encountered any problems but it may be that i've just not spent as many hours with it as you have.

one thing is definite: acdsee used to be a bit 'crashy' on my old system (amd xp2200, 1.5 gig ram) but i can't remember it crashing on my current system (amd xp 4800x2, 2 gig ram).

Carol Haynes:
Canon EOS 300D (the US called it the EOS Rebel).

The RAW colours were truly awful - and I was using their 'pro' colour management addin. I emailed support and they said wait for the next version. Given that I had just paid for an upgrade precisely for that feature I was not at all impressed (esp. as it was going to be a long time for the next version). Faststone does the job just better and is free - and now I can use Adobe Bridge too!

nudone:
oh dear. doesn't sound good.

i've not used that camera with it. 10 and 20d have been fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version