topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: make USB port disabled or delayed enable on startup - any util do this?  (Read 22683 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I need my machine to disable a specific USB port during startup or, even better, to simply delay enabling it for about 10 seconds.

The problem is that I've got one of those small MIMO touchscreens - it uses USB for power and image signal (using the DisplayLink drivers), and it refuses to connect properly during the startup of the machine.

If I leave the MIMO plugged in during startup, I can't even attempt to get it working by unplugging it and then plugging it into a different USB port.

This is how I get the MIMO to work without fail:

1) I have to boot the machine without the MIMO connected.

2) Wait for everything to load in.

3) Plug the MIMO into a USB socket.

4) Remember to disconnect the MIMO before I boot the machine next time.

This is the second machine I've had the problem with, so I think it's all just a symptom of the hardware and software I have to use. I've tried all the motherboards USB ports and a couple of external USB powered hubs - nothing makes a difference. The MIMO just doesn't like my setup - maybe it's because there are three other monitors plugged into the computer.

Anyway, is there a util that will delay a USB port connecting during startup. If not, is this something Autohotkey could do (and if so, would someone be so kind as to make it for a few DC credits).

Having said all this, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that merely disabling the USB port isn't enough to resolve the problem; maybe the system goes through more of a hardware scan when the MIMO is plugged in and this kicks the systems graphic management into action.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hm, a bit OT, but I do see the DisplayLink drivers (for a same MIMO screen :-*) having the issue of blanking the screen for several seconds a few times during boot, but eventually the login screen shows and I can log in. And I never unplug the MIMO.

More On-topic:
DisplayLink did release a new driver (6.1, previous 5.6), just last week, maybe that helps? (I just saw them, and haven't installed yet)

Totally on-topic:
I just googled this tool: http://www.disableusbports.com/ that you could give a try 8)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The problem is that there really isn't any guarantee that the disable USB app will load fast(er) enough to get  the port shutdown ahead of the MIMO's detection and driver load to prevent it from borking itself. It might be simpler (and more reliable) to try delay loading of whatever controls the MIMO (app/service/?? - I don't know, I never seen one of these things).

Just a Thought,

Stoic Joker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What if you use the disable USB port program via Task Scheduler on user logoff and enable on user logon?

Or use Microsoft' devcon command to disable/enable the specific device using Task Scheduler.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What if you use the disable USB port program via Task Scheduler on user logoff and enable on user logon?

I honestly don't know ... But it still sounds like it could end up being a race.

Or use Microsoft' devcon command to disable/enable the specific device using Task Scheduler.

Hm... Now this has a good sound/feeling to it. Easy to automate and direct drive :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I'll have to try a few experiments over the weekend - after I do a system backup; I expect it will break all my USB "stuff" at some point.

I did see someone talking about devcon elsewhere for a similar USB problem - I think they said it didn't help so I forgot about it. Probably worth investigating though.

I'll try the newer DisplayLink drivers too.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Might try having devcon disable the MIMO on shutdown, and enable it (with a delay) on startup to simplify logon/off incase you need to do a quick session refresh (it happens stuck apps etc..).

Or depending on how gracefully devcon handles it, you could enable it on logon and only disable it on shutdown.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did see someone talking about devcon elsewhere for a similar USB problem - I think they said it didn't help so I forgot about it. Probably worth investigating though.

FYI, some info for setting up a logoff event in Task Scheduler here.

For logon the Event ID is 7001, you might try increasing the delay before running and/or running Ath' WinButton program in the same event command file.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for all the suggestions but I've decided to take a radical approach to the problem - I'm going to throw the MIMO in a cupboard and forget about it.

I've just booted my machine, plugged the MIMO into the slot that had always made everything work - and this time it didn't work. Several minutes messing about rebooting, unplugging, plugging, installing new drivers has made me accept that this touchscreen device just isn't worth the trouble.

I may have persevered but it has also made one of my screens lose its colour calibration settings. That means I'll have to spend another 20 minutes doing that with my Spyder colorimeter thingy.

Please do not suggest I try anything further with this horrible touchscreen - except for satisfying ways I can drop heavy objects onto it; the most pleasure I will get from this piece of crap is by seeing it explode into thousands of tiny pieces.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Please do not suggest I try anything further with this horrible touchscreen

i like torturing nudone so i will suggest another.. devices which like to suck lots of usb power may behave better on a POWERED usb hub.
If you haven't yet tried connecting it to a powered usb hub, that might be worth a quick try.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: make USB port disabled or delayed enable on startup - any util do this?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 03:03 AM »

i like torturing nudone so i will suggest another.. devices which like to suck lots of usb power may behave better on a POWERED usb hub.
If you haven't yet tried connecting it to a powered usb hub, that might be worth a quick try.

Yep, that's the problem. I've tried more than one powered USB hub and other hubs and the ports on my motherboard. It just doesn't work.

I'm sure it works fine with one normal monitor attached to the machine but I've got three. I guess this is something the MIMO manufacturers have never thought about testing.

I've made a similar post about it here: https://www.donation....msg270234#msg270234

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:53 AM »
As I wrote before, I did encounter some minor issues while starting up, having all black screens for several seconds, but eventually it just works. And I do have 2 dual-screen systems, at home both connected using DVI, and at work both connected using DisplayPort (DP), that I added the MIMO to.
I'm kinda disappointed that it won't work in your environment :(, as originally a touchscreen seemed such a good idea :huh:

You'd better try to get a refund for your device, as you wrote in the other thread.

Oh, could there be a chance you're running the monday-mornin' model? The one they defunct on purpose, just to please the guys at their service desk? It's a bit hard, without someone with a similar device in the neighborhood, to swap it temporarily to find that out. :-\

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:23 AM »
I've had black screens for several seconds each time too - that's if I was lucky enough for it to connect at all. For it to work means not having the touchscreen connected during startup; it's as simple as that. I was prepared to accept that, it was simple enough, I just plug the MIMO in after everything else has loaded in...

...but today, not even that worked. This is on a machine that hasn't changed since the last time the MIMO was connected (two days ago). So, what's happened? Nothing has changed on the machine (that I'm aware of) and yet the MIMO decided it just didn't feel like waking up today (you may be right about the Monday Morning model).

So, I can't get the touchscreen to work if I boot up with it plugged in. In this scenario, it doesn't make the screens go black - it just doesn't do anything at all; the system has no idea that it's there. On my previous computer it would struggle to do something in this configuration - but it amounted to nothing more than making a blue LED blink and a ping noise repeat constantly (the sound of a USB device trying to connect).

And now, it doesn't even work plugging the device in after startup. I'm not prepared to keep messing about with it anymore. There was absolutely no good reason for it not to work this morning.

It's too late to send back to Amazon, I've checked. I suppose I could send it back and say it's not fit for purpose or something but I suspect that it will work fine if I plug it into a system with less monitors attached. So, not fit for purpose isn't really the truth.

I'll see what happens when I get around to using it with another machine. Maybe I'll be quite happy with it then.

edit:
Having said all that. One thing I've not tried is letting the machine wait at a login screen during startup. Maybe that's the trick that makes it work. I'll give it one last try sometime this week. If it doesn't work then, I'll probably attempt to snap the screen over my knee.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07 AM »
It's too late to send back to Amazon, I've checked. I suppose I could send it back and say it's not fit for purpose or something but I suspect that it will work fine if I plug it into a system with less monitors attached. So, not fit for purpose isn't really the truth.

You should be in time to claim it's faulty and have it replaced by another one (record the serial to be sure it's replaced), if you're luck they'll send you a complete new one from stock.

I'm not prepared to keep messing about with it anymore.

I fully understand what you are saying, I'd go the same route with such a bad experience.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:39 AM »
It's too late to send back to Amazon, I've checked

In the past when i've sent something back to amazon past their return date they still accept it but charge a 10-15% restocking fee -- might be quite acceptable to you in this case.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31 AM »
nah, I'll hang on to it. It might be brilliant used alongside the Wacom Cintiq. if it doesn't work with anything I plug it into then, fair enough, it's a dud. at which point i will happily smash it up. everything i buy i view as a gamble - i'm genuinely amazed when things work properly. when they don't i just accept that i lost that one - again.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 04:18 PM »
There was a thread about USB port misery caused by Windows here at DC.

In that a few tools were mentioned that can whip these sources of fury out of existence (scroll a bit down).

Just for future reference.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 06:23 PM »

What a pity! I'm getting on quite nicely with mine. (Just watch, it'll throw seven fits now!)
Have you talked to the people at MIMO at all? You can't be the only one with difficulties... can you?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 03:15 AM »
thanks, Shades. I'll go through that thread at the weekend (or when I feel up to the stress of constant reboots trying to get the MIMO to work).

as for MIMO difficulties, cranioscopical, all I've seen are complaints on the forums. I get the impressoin that people just give up and send the touchscreen back to Amazon. plenty of cases where the touchscreen worked and then one day it decided not to.

(which is all why I can't really be bothered to try and figure out the problem.)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 12:52 PM »
cranioscopical, all I've seen are complaints on the forums.
Bad show! I understand your thinking — easier to shrug and walk away than endure the hassle.