ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

make USB port disabled or delayed enable on startup - any util do this?

<< < (3/4) > >>

nudone:
Please do not suggest I try anything further with this horrible touchscreen
--- End quote ---

i like torturing nudone so i will suggest another.. devices which like to suck lots of usb power may behave better on a POWERED usb hub.
If you haven't yet tried connecting it to a powered usb hub, that might be worth a quick try.
-mouser (December 05, 2011, 02:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, that's the problem. I've tried more than one powered USB hub and other hubs and the ports on my motherboard. It just doesn't work.

I'm sure it works fine with one normal monitor attached to the machine but I've got three. I guess this is something the MIMO manufacturers have never thought about testing.

I've made a similar post about it here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27865.msg270234#msg270234

Ath:
As I wrote before, I did encounter some minor issues while starting up, having all black screens for several seconds, but eventually it just works. And I do have 2 dual-screen systems, at home both connected using DVI, and at work both connected using DisplayPort (DP), that I added the MIMO to.
I'm kinda disappointed that it won't work in your environment :(, as originally a touchscreen seemed such a good idea :huh:

You'd better try to get a refund for your device, as you wrote in the other thread.

Oh, could there be a chance you're running the monday-mornin' model? The one they defunct on purpose, just to please the guys at their service desk? It's a bit hard, without someone with a similar device in the neighborhood, to swap it temporarily to find that out. :-\

nudone:
I've had black screens for several seconds each time too - that's if I was lucky enough for it to connect at all. For it to work means not having the touchscreen connected during startup; it's as simple as that. I was prepared to accept that, it was simple enough, I just plug the MIMO in after everything else has loaded in...

...but today, not even that worked. This is on a machine that hasn't changed since the last time the MIMO was connected (two days ago). So, what's happened? Nothing has changed on the machine (that I'm aware of) and yet the MIMO decided it just didn't feel like waking up today (you may be right about the Monday Morning model).

So, I can't get the touchscreen to work if I boot up with it plugged in. In this scenario, it doesn't make the screens go black - it just doesn't do anything at all; the system has no idea that it's there. On my previous computer it would struggle to do something in this configuration - but it amounted to nothing more than making a blue LED blink and a ping noise repeat constantly (the sound of a USB device trying to connect).

And now, it doesn't even work plugging the device in after startup. I'm not prepared to keep messing about with it anymore. There was absolutely no good reason for it not to work this morning.

It's too late to send back to Amazon, I've checked. I suppose I could send it back and say it's not fit for purpose or something but I suspect that it will work fine if I plug it into a system with less monitors attached. So, not fit for purpose isn't really the truth.

I'll see what happens when I get around to using it with another machine. Maybe I'll be quite happy with it then.

edit:
Having said all that. One thing I've not tried is letting the machine wait at a login screen during startup. Maybe that's the trick that makes it work. I'll give it one last try sometime this week. If it doesn't work then, I'll probably attempt to snap the screen over my knee.

Ath:
It's too late to send back to Amazon, I've checked. I suppose I could send it back and say it's not fit for purpose or something but I suspect that it will work fine if I plug it into a system with less monitors attached. So, not fit for purpose isn't really the truth.
-nudone (December 05, 2011, 06:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

You should be in time to claim it's faulty and have it replaced by another one (record the serial to be sure it's replaced), if you're luck they'll send you a complete new one from stock.

I'm not prepared to keep messing about with it anymore.
-nudone (December 05, 2011, 06:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I fully understand what you are saying, I'd go the same route with such a bad experience.

mouser:
It's too late to send back to Amazon, I've checked
--- End quote ---

In the past when i've sent something back to amazon past their return date they still accept it but charge a 10-15% restocking fee -- might be quite acceptable to you in this case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version