ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

make USB port disabled or delayed enable on startup - any util do this?

(1/4) > >>

nudone:
I need my machine to disable a specific USB port during startup or, even better, to simply delay enabling it for about 10 seconds.

The problem is that I've got one of those small MIMO touchscreens - it uses USB for power and image signal (using the DisplayLink drivers), and it refuses to connect properly during the startup of the machine.

If I leave the MIMO plugged in during startup, I can't even attempt to get it working by unplugging it and then plugging it into a different USB port.

This is how I get the MIMO to work without fail:

1) I have to boot the machine without the MIMO connected.

2) Wait for everything to load in.

3) Plug the MIMO into a USB socket.

4) Remember to disconnect the MIMO before I boot the machine next time.

This is the second machine I've had the problem with, so I think it's all just a symptom of the hardware and software I have to use. I've tried all the motherboards USB ports and a couple of external USB powered hubs - nothing makes a difference. The MIMO just doesn't like my setup - maybe it's because there are three other monitors plugged into the computer.

Anyway, is there a util that will delay a USB port connecting during startup. If not, is this something Autohotkey could do (and if so, would someone be so kind as to make it for a few DC credits).

Having said all this, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that merely disabling the USB port isn't enough to resolve the problem; maybe the system goes through more of a hardware scan when the MIMO is plugged in and this kicks the systems graphic management into action.

Ath:
Hm, a bit OT, but I do see the DisplayLink drivers (for a same MIMO screen :-*) having the issue of blanking the screen for several seconds a few times during boot, but eventually the login screen shows and I can log in. And I never unplug the MIMO.

More On-topic:
DisplayLink did release a new driver (6.1, previous 5.6), just last week, maybe that helps? (I just saw them, and haven't installed yet)

Totally on-topic:
I just googled this tool: http://www.disableusbports.com/ that you could give a try 8)

Stoic Joker:
The problem is that there really isn't any guarantee that the disable USB app will load fast(er) enough to get  the port shutdown ahead of the MIMO's detection and driver load to prevent it from borking itself. It might be simpler (and more reliable) to try delay loading of whatever controls the MIMO (app/service/?? - I don't know, I never seen one of these things).

Just a Thought,

Stoic Joker

4wd:
What if you use the disable USB port program via Task Scheduler on user logoff and enable on user logon?

Or use Microsoft' devcon command to disable/enable the specific device using Task Scheduler.

Stoic Joker:
What if you use the disable USB port program via Task Scheduler on user logoff and enable on user logon?-4wd (December 01, 2011, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I honestly don't know ... But it still sounds like it could end up being a race.

Or use Microsoft' devcon command to disable/enable the specific device using Task Scheduler.-4wd (December 01, 2011, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... Now this has a good sound/feeling to it. Easy to automate and direct drive :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version