ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Do you use a good office chair when programming?

<< < (2/13) > >>

Cpilot:
aeron chari =  $1000

for a chair !??!?!!?
--- End quote ---

;D ain't nobodies bottom worth that much.

I switch between a good old fashion wooded chair and (because I'm wireless) my recliner. That heated massage really works the kinks out.  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
I used to have a pretty lousy wooden chair, but after I moved in with the gf I now have a more decent office-style chair :). Still not top-notch, but decent enough. No-name brand etc.

allen:
I once read a blogpost after someone bought a 2500 dollar chair -- and their argument was that they spend far more time in that chair than their car and considered it a reasonable investment.  That said, my chair is < 100 dollars and I really, really like it -- I bought it after my back started giving me trouble.  It's perfect for me, as it provides the right about of posture, support and comfort.
That said, it's a balance of comfort -- it's by no means posh, it's a simple piece of wood with fake leather over it -- and I love it.

Black Faux Leather Armless High Back Chair

Deozaan:
My wireless card keeps giving me a blue screen of death, so I'm in the living room on my flatmate's "bean bag" chair that was $100 with a direct ethernet connection to the router.  The chair is four feet in diameter, so it's fairly large, but I don't like it very much because it isn't really filled with beans or bean-like things. Just giant chunks of foam so it's hard to shape the way you want it to. It encourages a reclining position which is kind of hard on my neck sometimes.

But for a standard office chair I recommend leg rests, and if you get one with arm rests I suggest one that has some sort of material/padding on them. My elbows get rubbed to soreness on the plastic/hard ones. It's also great if they are at about the same height as your desk.

If I had the money I would definitely be willing to spend up to a few hundred dollars for a chair, considering how much time I spend using the computer.

noth(a)nk.you:
After taking a job that meant I would spend long hours on the phone, I opted for a decent chair.

Went to Sam's, came up with this one (~$110 in-store):

It's more of a budget pick, but it works alright.  My major gripe is that the arms are too wide to fit under the desk (dorm furniture) and cannot be removed.

If you don't plan on leaning way back, I'd suggest one of those exercise balls.  They're cheap (~$10) and are supposed to strengthen your back, balance.  I used one of the 65cm balls over about six months (it squeezed under the desk!), but I have also worked with a woman who had used a larger variety for a couple of years.  What's more, they take up very little space in storage.  These could be purchased at any self-respecting sports shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version