topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: NoteMe  (Read 88496 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Release: NoteMe
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 05:27 AM »
Thanks all visitors of MakeUseOf for trying NoteMe! Feel free to give your honest feedback!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06 AM »
A tip for NoteMe users:

With NoteMe and gmail, you can actually take your task system for notes a step further- you can send it to yourself + [email protected] and it will still come to your email.  So if your email is [email protected], you can send it to [email protected].  Then you can set a filter on that e-mail address and do whatever you want with it (that gmail filters allow).

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Great tip wraith!
Users of Pinboard & NoteMe can quickly send bookmarks to their collection either via wraith's method, or directly, by enabling bookmarking via email.
Or send articles to read later to Instapaper via email-in.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 06:04 AM »
this looks interesting, but I would like it to be able to:

- indicate when to send the email
- easily import batch emails to be send at specific dates
eg, import an excel (or TAB seperated text file, preferably) where the first column is the recipient, second column the subject (can be empty), third column email body (can be empty), fourth column date to be sent
- how it will work when the pc is closed, but I will need to get that email notification in my email box? I have a server running 24x7, maybe this can offer a solution? or maybe intergrate NoteMe with some third-party web service, Google Calendar, or something?
- how can I be 100% sure that I get that email? in case my emal box is unreachable due to any factor, I need the email to be sent at some intervals, until it is successfuly delived, or even check that I actually read it too, in general safety that the reminder email will be actually sent, should be ensured 100% with multiple safety mechanisms

thanks!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 06:54 AM »
Thanks for your feedback kalos. I don't think NoteMe is the right program for you - it will never ever do batch email, as this enables spam. You have a valid point about the robustness of sending however, I will take that into account for future versions.

NoteMe is not for automatic / enterprise level notifications it's simply a tool to send yourself a couple of words. There are better tools for what your uses, maybe something like opsview, splunk for example.

TalksToPCs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Hi

What is the current download link for NoteMe? I get a "site does not exist" error when clicking to the download location. And the vandragt-page sends me here. Running in circles.

Any help?

Thanks and regards,
Boris

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Sorry this is an unintended side effect of moving my blog to Tumblr.
Will have a look in the coming days and reply in this thread when the links are working again.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36 AM »
The download link in the first post has been updated (see: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=28912.0). Please let me know if you find any other links to software from myself that will need updating.
All files that were pointing to http://vandragt.com/downloads/* should point to http://downloads.vandragt.com/* instead.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:54 AM by justice »

TalksToPCs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10 PM »
I am about to install Noteme on a new PC. I am getting warnings that the download is harmful.
There's definitely something strange about the link:
http://downloads.van...up-NoteMe.exe?v1.1.0

And on the vandragt.com site the noteme page (http://vandragt.com/projects/noteme/) displays a BARD summary.

Could you make sure that the file on your server is actually the file I want to download?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Bard is produced by the same guy (Justice), so I'd tend to think that's a genuine mistake.

There's definitely something strange about the link:
-
can you be more specific there?

PS - who's giving the warnings?
Tom

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2014, 02:57 AM »
Hello, the creator here (of NoteMe and Bard) :) A couple of things are happening here that give an altogether shoddy impression:

1) I was in the middle of collating all my projects in a central place online and then halfway through went on to do other things. Also bard is retired as a project, the links in my profile here are not working which I'll fix now.
2) NoteMe is made with AutoHotkey. AutoHotkey is sometimes used to automate system actions by people that write trojans etc (just like any programming language really) and this results in virusscanners mistakenly classifying all autohotkey scritps as viruses. For more info see: http://cranialsoup.b...-worm-or-trojan.html
3) It turns out that Firefox download security is now as stupid as the virusscanners and is blocking the download, because it thinks you're downloading an installer harbouring a trojan.  :Thmbsup:
4) Internet explorer saves the file with a 0 extension because of the version number (feel free to remove it before downloading, it's purely there for my statistics that I don't look at anymore).  :-*

I've uploaded the download to virustotal, you can compare the hashes to verify the file being analyzed is identical to the file you downloaded and then trust the results @ https://www.virustot...analysis/1406620470/

If you are still not happy but would like to try the software I can dig up the source and let you convert it to an exe if that's any better.