ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials - new Beta out 2011-11-30 (updated 2012-07-11)

<< < (2/2)

tomos:

thanks cyberdiva :)

IainB:
Maybe I should look into Malwarebytes - I presume from what you say Iain that they work well together? (MSE & MWB)
-tomos (November 30, 2011, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, they seem to work fine together - and without duplication so far. For example, I was helping to restore someone's user directory the other day and had to employ the use of  a password hacking tool to finish the job. MWB made no objection at all, but MSE logged it and reported it as a Hacktool of "Medium" Alert Level and asked me what I wanted to do about it (I opted for ignore).

There's a thought: I hope the new ß does not forcefully override user control in such circumstances.

IainB:
Just an update on the ß trial: Absolutely no problems. Uneventful and trouble-free.
As for the previous version - no apparent hogging of CPU - seems to go to background processing if the CPU(s) has(have) other work going on.
I was reminded to update this thread after answering the 2nd ß trial survey I have had from M/soft.

Carol Haynes:
Further info on what has changed at: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/new-microsoft-security-essentials-beta-available-to-select-testers/11289

Personally I don't like the idea of automatic cleanup without user interaction but I suppose it is good for people who don't know what to do or are likely not to bother to take action.

I have a number of programs on my system that are picked up as suspect because they allow password detection etc. but I know they are safe and I don't want my AV deleting without any warning or notification. Avast used to do that and it was extremely irritating going through quarantine and marking files/folders to ignore in future. I'm not sure that MSE even has the possibility of ignoring files/folders that you know are safe. It also bothers me that false positives could occur without any sort of notification and be really difficult to track down.

IainB:
See also EDIT 2012-07-11 to Opening Post.

Just a note to say that when I installed the file for ATI Tray Tools (file: attsetup-[Guru3D.com].exe), it installed with no problems. Because I have Windows 7 Firewall Control, I guess I didn't notice that the install file had OpenCandy - which didn't install.
I just discovered today that the file has OpenCandy in it. This is because MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) just today announced that the file was infected, during a regular scan. I downloaded the file again from Guru3D.com to check, and MSE immediately quarantined it. It didn't quarantine the file the first time I downloaded it (though it was the same version of ATI Tray Tools).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Anyway, I "allowed the file", so it was released from quarantine.

Microsoft had a humungous Windows Update today, including MSE/virus file updates, so I guess it included a definition file that checks OpenCandy adware as malware.
Good thing too.
-IainB (July 11, 2012, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version