Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 21, 2014, 02:38:12 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials - new Beta out 2011-11-30 (updated 2012-07-11)  (Read 4308 times)
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »

Just installed it:

From the "About" drop-down:
© 2012 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
System information:
[Security Essentials Version: 4.0.1111.0
Antimalware Client Version: 4.0.1111.0
Engine Version: 1.1.7801.0
Antivirus definition: 1.115.2818.0
Antispyware definition: 1.115.2818.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.7707.0
Network Inspection System Definition Version: 10.7.0.0

EDIT 2011-11-30 1526hrs (NZT):
I should probably mention that I am also using Malwarebyles" Anli Malware 1.51.2.1300, because I discovered in December 2010 that some annoyware/malware can apparently get past MSE. This was on a friend's laptop on which I had installed MSE. He had clicked on a link in some spam email and it hijacked his laptop - switched off MSE and then stayed dominant/resident, even after boot, insisting you pay via credit card for a "security scan". You couldn't do anything with the laptop - it was effectively locked-up.
The only way I could get rid of it was by taking the hard drive out and running Malwarebytes over it as a USB drive. MSE was broken though, and I had to uninstall and then reinstall it before I could get his system back to normal. I also installed the pro (paid) version of MWB, as that does real-time scanning, and even catches bad/suspicious URLs when you are browsing (if you enable that feature).

EDIT 2012-07-11 2251hrs (NZT):
Following a large Windows Update today, it looks as though MSE now includes the OpenCandy adware as "malware" in its virus definition files.
Version details:

See also post below - here.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:03:13 AM by IainB; Reason: Update 2012-07-11. » Logged
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »

Hmmm...I'm not surprised that the antimalware client version in the beta is 4, since mine is 3, but my security essentials version is 2 (more specifically 2.1.1116.0).  So why did it jump to 4 in the beta?  Did I miss something major?

As for your friend's experience, I used to read the Malwarebytes Forum reasonably often, and I found that most highly regarded AV programs let stuff through from time to time.  That's one reason Malwarebytes is so popular and highly regarded.  It fills a need regardless of what AV program you have.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:57:29 AM »

The v4 in both cases came with the ß install I guess. It ran as an update from Microsoft.

Yes, I read similar good stuff about MWB, which is largely the reason why I ended up using it. It seems to be very good at what it does.
Belts and braces, I know, but then my training encouraged me to be a bit paranoid about system maintenance, backup and protection - and I have learned from others' bad experiences not to take risks.
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:33:47 AM »

He had clicked on a link in some spam email and it hijacked his laptop

I found that most highly regarded AV programs let stuff through from time to time.

similar experience here last year with a link (from a google search) and with a very reputable AV. Maybe I should look into Malwarebytes - I presume from what you say Iain that they work well together? (MSE & MWB)

Tom
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »

similar experience here last year with a link (from a google search) and with a very reputable AV. Maybe I should look into Malwarebytes - I presume from what you say Iain that they work well together? (MSE & MWB)
I'm not Iain (I don't even play him on TV) but I've used MSE and MWB together on two computers for quite a while, and they play very well together.  MWB says explicitly that it is intended to be used with an AV program--it supplements that program, it doesn't replace it.  Often one has to list the programs in each other's exclusions area, but sometimes even that isn't needed. 
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »

thanks cyberdiva smiley

Tom
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »

Maybe I should look into Malwarebytes - I presume from what you say Iain that they work well together? (MSE & MWB)
Yes, they seem to work fine together - and without duplication so far. For example, I was helping to restore someone's user directory the other day and had to employ the use of  a password hacking tool to finish the job. MWB made no objection at all, but MSE logged it and reported it as a Hacktool of "Medium" Alert Level and asked me what I wanted to do about it (I opted for ignore).

There's a thought: I hope the new ß does not forcefully override user control in such circumstances.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:44 AM »

Just an update on the ß trial: Absolutely no problems. Uneventful and trouble-free.
As for the previous version - no apparent hogging of CPU - seems to go to background processing if the CPU(s) has(have) other work going on.
I was reminded to update this thread after answering the 2nd ß trial survey I have had from M/soft.
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »

Further info on what has changed at: http://www.zdnet.com/blog...e-to-select-testers/11289

Personally I don't like the idea of automatic cleanup without user interaction but I suppose it is good for people who don't know what to do or are likely not to bother to take action.

I have a number of programs on my system that are picked up as suspect because they allow password detection etc. but I know they are safe and I don't want my AV deleting without any warning or notification. Avast used to do that and it was extremely irritating going through quarantine and marking files/folders to ignore in future. I'm not sure that MSE even has the possibility of ignoring files/folders that you know are safe. It also bothers me that false positives could occur without any sort of notification and be really difficult to track down.

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:49 AM »

See also EDIT 2012-07-11 to Opening Post.

Just a note to say that when I installed the file for ATI Tray Tools (file: attsetup-[Guru3D.com].exe), it installed with no problems. Because I have Windows 7 Firewall Control, I guess I didn't notice that the install file had OpenCandy - which didn't install.
I just discovered today that the file has OpenCandy in it. This is because MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) just today announced that the file was infected, during a regular scan. I downloaded the file again from Guru3D.com to check, and MSE immediately quarantined it. It didn't quarantine the file the first time I downloaded it (though it was the same version of ATI Tray Tools).

Anyway, I "allowed the file", so it was released from quarantine.

Microsoft had a humungous Windows Update today, including MSE/virus file updates, so I guess it included a definition file that checks OpenCandy adware as malware.
Good thing too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:02:45 AM by IainB; Reason: Minor edit. » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.042s | Server load: 0.07 ]