ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials - new Beta out 2011-11-30 (updated 2012-07-11)

(1/2) > >>

IainB:
Just installed it:

From the "About" drop-down:
© 2012 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
System information:
[Security Essentials Version: 4.0.1111.0
Antimalware Client Version: 4.0.1111.0
Engine Version: 1.1.7801.0
Antivirus definition: 1.115.2818.0
Antispyware definition: 1.115.2818.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.7707.0
Network Inspection System Definition Version: 10.7.0.0
--- End quote ---

EDIT 2011-11-30 1526hrs (NZT):
I should probably mention that I am also using Malwarebyles" Anli Malware 1.51.2.1300, because I discovered in December 2010 that some annoyware/malware can apparently get past MSE. This was on a friend's laptop on which I had installed MSE. He had clicked on a link in some spam email and it hijacked his laptop - switched off MSE and then stayed dominant/resident, even after boot, insisting you pay via credit card for a "security scan". You couldn't do anything with the laptop - it was effectively locked-up.
The only way I could get rid of it was by taking the hard drive out and running Malwarebytes over it as a USB drive. MSE was broken though, and I had to uninstall and then reinstall it before I could get his system back to normal. I also installed the pro (paid) version of MWB, as that does real-time scanning, and even catches bad/suspicious URLs when you are browsing (if you enable that feature).
--- End quote ---

EDIT 2012-07-11 2251hrs (NZT):
Following a large Windows Update today, it looks as though MSE now includes the OpenCandy adware as "malware" in its virus definition files.
Version details:

See also post below - here.

cyberdiva:
Hmmm...I'm not surprised that the antimalware client version in the beta is 4, since mine is 3, but my security essentials version is 2 (more specifically 2.1.1116.0).  So why did it jump to 4 in the beta?  Did I miss something major?

As for your friend's experience, I used to read the Malwarebytes Forum reasonably often, and I found that most highly regarded AV programs let stuff through from time to time.  That's one reason Malwarebytes is so popular and highly regarded.  It fills a need regardless of what AV program you have.

IainB:
The v4 in both cases came with the ß install I guess. It ran as an update from Microsoft.

Yes, I read similar good stuff about MWB, which is largely the reason why I ended up using it. It seems to be very good at what it does.
Belts and braces, I know, but then my training encouraged me to be a bit paranoid about system maintenance, backup and protection - and I have learned from others' bad experiences not to take risks.

tomos:
He had clicked on a link in some spam email and it hijacked his laptop
-IainB (November 29, 2011, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I found that most highly regarded AV programs let stuff through from time to time.
-cyberdiva (November 29, 2011, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

similar experience here last year with a link (from a google search) and with a very reputable AV. Maybe I should look into Malwarebytes - I presume from what you say Iain that they work well together? (MSE & MWB)

cyberdiva:
similar experience here last year with a link (from a google search) and with a very reputable AV. Maybe I should look into Malwarebytes - I presume from what you say Iain that they work well together? (MSE & MWB)
-tomos (November 30, 2011, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not Iain (I don't even play him on TV) but I've used MSE and MWB together on two computers for quite a while, and they play very well together.  MWB says explicitly that it is intended to be used with an AV program--it supplements that program, it doesn't replace it.  Often one has to list the programs in each other's exclusions area, but sometimes even that isn't needed. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version