topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Samsung unveils 32GB Flash-based HDD killer  (Read 4416 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Samsung unveils 32GB Flash-based HDD killer
« on: March 21, 2006, 04:18 PM »
This is surely the future of hard drives..

Samsung has launched what it reckons its the world's first 32GB NAND Flash-based hard disk drive replacement unit. The company claimed the so-called "solid state disk" can access data three times faster than an HDD can and write files one-and-a-half times more quickly - though we don't know what HDD spec it was comparing its product to.
The SSD is a 2.5in form-factor product that operates at 5V and connects across a 66MHz Ultra DMA parallel ATA bus. Samsung said the unit consumes just five per cent of the energy it takes to run a hard drive.

from digg.com

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Samsung unveils 32GB Flash-based HDD killer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Cool!  I notice there wan't a projected price in the article.  I'm guessing it's not compairble to HDD prices.

The good news is that as Moore's Law takes over, prices should come down and capacities go up.  It'll be good to speed up the data access speeds, especially on laptops.  Right now the HDD is by far the slowest thing in my system.  Even more so on my laptop.  It'll be nice to have good battary life and perfomance for a change.  :Thmbsup:
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:40 PM »
This is very good news!
I'm a laptop user, so, that 5% energy use is the most interesting part for me... Of course the increase in speed is a very good bonus! ;)
In that link's page, there is also mentioned the project of having the OS booting from a flash. I had already read about it, good to know it is already out! :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 02:53 AM »
Great! Only 5% of the energy a regular HD consumes means not just it's perfect for mobile computing, but also a nice alternative when you want/need to go for a quiet solution or when the heat a regular HD produces is a problem.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Solid-state disks have been around for a long time, but at an insane cost - basically only the military and other Big Guys use them. I would really appreciate a smallish solid-state disk at a reasonable price; not only will you get better throughput, but search time should be reduced from miliseconds to micro/nanoseconds.

If the 32gig drive is at a resonable price, it would be perfect for OS + applications and things like source code and documents. Heck, even a few games for faster loading and less drive thrashing. But I bet you it's not reasonably priced ;)

Another alternative are the ram-based drives that are starting to pop up. Sure, they lose your data contents if you unplug your PC for "some amount of time" (24+ hours iirc), but with a normal poweroff the data is kept thanks to the PCI bus power. And this a lot cheaper than solid-state disks, even if 4x1GB ram modules are expensive.

The only sad thing with the "ram drives" (which paradoxically is also what really makes them useful) is that they're limited to SATA or SATA-2 speeds, limiting you to hundreds of megabytes per second bandwidth, while the RAM modules are able to transfer gigabytes per second.
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 01:11 PM »
...but search time should be reduced from miliseconds to micro/nanoseconds.
That is called "Locate" --> https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1385.0

SCNR :D

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 01:53 PM »

You misunderstood - and I've should've used "seek time" instead of "search time". Iirc on harddrives this means the time between the read/write head is told to move to a position and when it's actually there. This *greatly* affects drive performance when dealing with multiple file operations at one time, or dealing with heavily fragmented files.

But yes, it also has an effect on filesearch, since filesystem meta information tends not to be located in one big blow, and thus read/write head movement is needed :)
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 02:21 PM »

You misunderstood - and I've should've used "seek time" instead of "search time".
Yep - and I misunderstood on purpose - that was just too good an opportunity to let it pass :)