ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ribbon UI - is it really THAT good?

<< < (10/13) > >>

40hz:
If Microsoft goes down the 'Windows is dead' route I think we can also safely say at the point 'Microsoft is dead'
-Carol Haynes (December 22, 2011, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1! :Thmbsup:

In fact even as an Apple hater i could see my self moving to Mac before I would accept Metro as a desktop OS.
--- End quote ---

Hmm...I'd rather go command line or 100% EMACS first, but I agree.

Hey! Maybe Mouser will finally take FARR the rest of the way and make it a full 'desktop.' He's already half way there!  ;D

mahesh2k:
Maybe MS should write it in bold on their W8 page. Metro is for touchscreen users and not for users with keyboard n mouse few inches away from the screen.

cyberdiva:
In fact even as an Apple hater i could see my self moving to Mac before I would accept Metro as a desktop OS.
--- End quote ---
+1  :up:

wraith808:
which they plan on forcing everyone over to eventually.
-40hz (December 22, 2011, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I *still* haven't seen anything concrete that says they plan on switching everyone over to it eventually.  I see this quoted a lot, but no substantiation.  Is there an article or anywhere that supports this view?

40hz:
As far as an official " end of discussion" statement , no there isn't one.

But a direct answer to the same question remains unheard despite numerous attempts to get an answer out of Redmond. Mixed messages from various Microsoft folks indicates it's not a done deal. Which seems to indicate there's some internal debate going on. Even Sinofsky himself didn't rule out 'Metro only' despite having kind things to say about the traditional desktop in his blog.

I think right now the 'official' position seems to be:

This is just the beginning of the discussion. There’s so much more to talk about as we dive into details about the Windows 8 UI. We’re delivering a whole new experience, reimagined from the chips all the way to the user experience, to enable new scenarios, new apps, and new ways of using a PC.

--- End quote ---

Which is fine. But what I (and my clients) don't appreciate is Microsoft's refusal to categorically state what the long term plans for the desktop are once Win8/Metro goes gold. (And by Metro i mean the whole walled garden environment every tech company seems hell bent on copying from Apple if they can possibly get away with it.) So if there's unwarranted confusion and concern, it's largely how Microsoft's been playing it so coy that's caused it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version