ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dell 4Gb to 16Gb DDR 3 upgrade --- £500

<< < (2/3) > >>

Josh:
<--- The 1% of the 99% of the 100%

Stoic Joker:
My eyes just popped.

Alienware customisation on Dell's website offers an upgrade from 4Gb of DDR3 memory to 4x4Gb at a the very reasonable cost of £500.

Generously they also offer to upgrade from one model of Core i7 to another for a mere £900.

Are these people on drugs ???

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-m18x/pd
-Carol Haynes (November 28, 2011, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC The memory prices on Dells skyrocket after 8GB because they have to use ECC memory with a specialized buffer for those memory configurations (so the price (is about ~50% off) really isn't that bad).

Carol Haynes:
Why do they have to use ECC memory? I have 16Gb in my system which cost under £100 for the lot!

Stoic Joker:
Why do they have to use ECC memory? I have 16Gb in my system which cost under £100 for the lot!
-Carol Haynes (November 29, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

*Shrug* ... Something to do with (stability under load) coordinating the multiple processor cores, with the multiple memory channels... I'm not an architecture guy, I just ran across the info shortly after recovering from the same sticker shock a while back.

Carol Haynes:
Couldn't find registered or unbuffered ECC DDR3-1600 SODIMS on a quick internet search but Crucial do 4 x 4Gb DDR3-1600 non-ECC (the same capacity and spec as Dell as far as I can tell) for under £100 - I can't see why it would need to be ECC - it isn't exceptionally fast memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version