ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy Remote access to another PC?

<< < (13/14) > >>

4wd:
Adding another remote Desktop program to the mix: Splashtop Remote Desktop Free for personal use.

You install the Splashtop Streamer, (Windows or Mac), on the host computers and then use SRD to connect to it - including iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Kindle Fire and B&N Nook.

I don't think it uses an arbitration server either, it will automatically pick up computers on the LAN, (running Streamer), and add them to the connection list and you can add specific IPs for remote computers.

wraith808:
^ I use that also, and it's great for getting to my machine, especially from my iPad (which I do a lot in meetings- they don't seem to get as ticked when I code on the iPad during boring meetings as they do when I bring my laptop).  But it's pretty intrusive, so I don't see setting that up for a remote connection that isn't your own.

Recently tried join.me for the first time. Extremely slow.
-rgdot (December 05, 2011, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm.. I've never had that problem, even though several of my co-workers are in India and Pakistan, which would seem to lend itself to lag.  Just my experience.

4wd:
But it's pretty intrusive, so I don't see setting that up for a remote connection that isn't your own.-wraith808 (January 07, 2012, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not quite sure what you mean by intrusive, anything that's not RDP, (for Windows anyway), is intrusive installation-wise, the same can be said for VNC.

At least the person on the remote computer can still see what you're doing and, (for me anyway), the fact that you don't have to rely on an arbitration server, (eg. LogMeIn, TeamViewer), in another country is a big bonus.

I'll have to do a little more testing though to see if it meets my needs but it does look promising.

wraith808:
Not quite sure what you mean by intrusive, anything that's not RDP, (for Windows anyway), is intrusive installation-wise, the same can be said for VNC.
-4wd (January 07, 2012, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Join.me (and I think TeamViewer from what's been said) don't require installation.  They go to a site, and click share.  I've talked people who don't know how to install software through this over the phone.  I've installed Splashtop Remote Desktop, and it takes a bit of setup from what I've experienced with it (gmail password to find it over the internet, has a desktop notification area component, has a full installer, etc).

Carol Haynes:
Using Teamviewer QuickSupport on a client computer requires only a click on a website and then click Run or double click the downloaded file. There is no set up or config required at the client end.

You can even generate a customised version of the software yourself and host it from your own website.

The only minor issue I have had with TeamViewerQS client software is if the client has a 3rd party firewall - it may ask to allow access. This is pretty rare these days though because most firewalls recognise TVQS as legitimate and apply preconfigured access rules.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version