ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy Remote access to another PC?

<< < (3/14) > >>

wraith808:
If you haven't already, TeamViewer and LogMeIn are good options. I've tried both on occasion, and find them pretty good.
-Writer (November 27, 2011, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have tried both of these options- join.me is the free, ad hoc version of logmein.  What's so appealing to me about join.me is the fact that as the viewer you don't have to install anything.  It's totally contained within your browser.  Even as the sharer, you don't have to install anything- you just run an executable.  You *can* install something for faster access, but you don't have to- very useful for using on a computer where you aren't going to use it often.  And add to that the fact that there's no registration, and I don't even know *why* they're offering such a good deal.  But I like it. :)

steeladept:
If you haven't already, TeamViewer and LogMeIn are good options. I've tried both on occasion, and find them pretty good.
-Writer (November 27, 2011, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have tried both of these options- join.me is the free, ad hoc version of logmein.  What's so appealing to me about join.me is the fact that as the viewer you don't have to install anything.  It's totally contained within your browser.  Even as the sharer, you don't have to install anything- you just run an executable.  You *can* install something for faster access, but you don't have to- very useful for using on a computer where you aren't going to use it often.  And add to that the fact that there's no registration, and I don't even know *why* they're offering such a good deal.  But I like it. :)
-wraith808 (November 27, 2011, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hopefully they stay that way.  Crossloop was the same way, and my choice for a long time for the same reasons, but now they are a pay site, just like LogMeIn.  Still great, but no longer free....

JavaJones:
I use Teamviewer and UltraVNC, the latter less frequently now (but used to be my mainstay). Join.me looks very interesting, I'll have to check it out.

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes:
+1 for TeamViewer. Simplicity to set up and once set up you can access remote computers with a single double click.

You can also talk to each other face to face via webcam/microphone if you both have sufficient bandwidth and if you need VPN you can set that up to.

I have found it works pretty well on slow broadband connections (and working in a rural area a lot of my clients have really poor broadband).

You can issue restart requests to the other computer too and reconnect automatically when the computer starts - even to the login page. You can also reboot and reconnect in Safe Mode if required (though I would guess you need a wired connection as Safe Mode with Networking doesn't seem to have support for WiFi).

For personal use this is all free and all connections are encrypted.

Of all the options I tried (and I tried most) this is by far the easiest to set up (as simple as installing any other application without technical mumbo jumbo - you can even talk technophobes through the installation over the phone, connect to their computer and complete the configuration yourself if they need the full application installed, or just use the quick connect download which they simply double click and tell you the user id and password to connect).

Finally you can do presentations for groups of clients (though I haven't tried this) limiting the broadcast information to a single window.

It works flawlessly for me 100% of the time.

I now provide remote support for my customers and bought a copy (even though it is quite expensive for professional use).

The huge added plus over LogMeIn for me is that if you need to uninstall it doesn't leave dregs behind and doesn't seem to conflict with other apps (at least none that I have seen).

Josh:
A combination of neorouter (or hamachi, whichever is your poison. I use NR because it has a native android client) and remote desktop/remote assistance is what I still recommend. Remote assistance allows the user to send you an invite to join their PC. This allows them to observe what you do, vice remote desktop which takes over control of their system and sends them to a lock screen. Used with neorouter, I can access any of mine, or my family's, computers anywhere I am.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version