topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request: Standardize keyboard shortcuts to adhere to Windows standard  (Read 3393 times)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
One thing --- you have thoroughly corrupted my memory ;p. In Windows, by default, Alt+PrtScr captures the current window. In Screenshot Captor, Alt+PrtScr captures the entire work-space (at least by default). Therefore, when I'm speaking to someone, I have to double check myself, as I am now used to Alt+PrtScr capturing the whole workspace.

Of course, making such a change now might upset existing users. That said, they might be supportive of it, new users would like it better, it would jive with traditional Windows tips and tricks, and existing users would adapt with a little time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
There is actually a store behind this..

It *USED* to be that Alt+PrtScr defaulted to capturing the current active window in Screenshot Captor too..

BUT, pressing the alt key can cause the Menu bar of the current window to trigger -- sometimes just highlighting it oddly -- but in worst cased causing a menu to actually drop down.

That's why the new default for active window capture is CTRL+PrtScr.

But of course you can customize it -- which you already knew.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
Figures there was a rationale, just thought I'd throw it out there ;p. I felt like an idiot when a user corrected me one time on taking screenshots, I'd been using SSC so long.

The ALT invoking the menu, or forcing the closure of a context menu, is one I often have taking screenshots on PCs without SSC, so I can see why you made the change. There is no good way to get around that either. Bad pick by Microsoft years ago I guess.

Carry on ;). SSC is my most used DC tool, it has just the right amount of editing capabilities, no BS, all the features I want and need.. I've never had cause to even try competitors. The new Windows Snip tool doesn't compare.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
It makes me happy to hear that you like it.  :Thmbsup: