topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft on Australian Health Record Data Security  (Read 3257 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft on Australian Health Record Data Security
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:42 PM »
This is just bizarre:

http://www.theaustra...frg6nf-1226205148994

"By regulating the geography where the data is held rather than the level of security under which it is held implicitly establishes criteria for data protection that are not related to principles of technology security.

While the data security part is right - location is irrelevant - the physical security and legal/jurisdictional security is another. Like who in their right mind would put national data in the US with legislation like the PATRIOT Act that affords nobody any protection from anything the government wants to do? That's just nutty.

Or any other place? Why would you put sensitive (national) data in the trust of foreign nationals and out of the physical reach of the Australian government?

Seems a tad wonky to me.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft on Australian Health Record Data Security
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 03:19 PM »
How nice of USA-based Microsoft, acting as a purely disinterested outside party, to put their tuppence in on some Australian draft legislation. What a bunch of swell guys!  ;) ;D

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Hm, paywall.

MS is right in that the physical location doesn't necessary make the data safer, though... especially for the same reasons you mention yourself.

There's three things to consider:
1) national laws where the servers are hosted
2) registered nationality of company hosting your data (Amerikan companies have to hand out data to NSA/FBI/whateverTLA on request, regardless of where their servers are hosted, because of TPA).
3) encryption, encryption, encryption, encryption.

With all that in mind, I'd still wish all government would do the fscking only sensible thing: build their own clouds, using open source technology, and not having it hosted by a third party.
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:17 PM »
With all that in mind, I'd still wish all government would do the fscking only sensible thing: build their own clouds, using open source technology, and not having it hosted by a third party.

Amen to that!

Given how intrusive legislation in the US is, and how all protections have been removed, I can't see anyone that's sane allowing sensitive information to be hosted there.

But about this:

2) registered nationality of company hosting your data (Amerikan companies have to hand out data to NSA/FBI/whateverTLA on request, regardless of where their servers are hosted, because of TPA).

If MS had an Australian subsidiary, wouldn't it not be subject to US prying eyes?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:28 PM »
If MS had an Australian subsidiary, wouldn't it not be subject to US prying eyes?
IANAL, but I wouldn't bet on it. And it's one of the reasons I wouldn't even consider letting a Danish company handle a governmental cloud.

We had this company doing a lot of govt business, including a lot of police systems, the central person register, et cetera. They got bought up by CSC. Which country is CSC originally from? Yep, you're right.

There's not a lot of public talk about the Carnivore boxes located at every ISP edge location with direct feeds not just to the Danish intelligence service, but also the NSA. They did a pretty fscking ingenious move - enforced data logging (very publicly known), pretty useless crap (source+destination IP and port, IP protocol time, timestamp, and a full packet capture of every however-many packets) - useless, fscking expensive for the ISPs to implement and maintain.. and a DOYCdamn red herring.
- carpe noctem