ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wave? Good-bye!

<< < (3/8) > >>

urlwolf:
Google docs has inherited the real time collaboration from wave. For me, gdocs is wave working well. They just removed the cacophony of the 'community aspects'. In gdocs you collaborate with 1-2 others, and all is well. The community aspect was farmed out to G+.

zridling:
All these cleanup projects are the work of Larry Page. Keep experimenting, but we're not going to carry something indefinitely as the world moves on. Chromebooks are down to $299 for the Holidays, too (wi-fi only though). I like Google right now because its apps serve me well (Docs, G+, Gmail), but I'm also ready to remove my data at the drop of a hat when they start walling themselves in, as facebook is doing.

f0dder:
Google WhateverAVE.

Didn't play with it myself, but from what I heard it was too complex, too alien, too sluggish, and didn't integrate well enough with non-wave services. And it had this "well, we made this cool new thing, but we don't know quite what to do with it, and aren't going to market it very heavily" feel from the start, so it comes as no surprise to me they're killing it off. GTalk integration in GMail goes a long way, anyway.

Now, killing off google code search, that's a shame. It was an interesting idea, and there was an interesting IDA plugin for it :)

40hz:
I like Google right now because its apps serve me well (Docs, G+, Gmail), but I'm also ready to remove my data at the drop of a hat when they start walling themselves in, as facebook is doing.
-zridling (November 24, 2011, 04:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I say it so often I sound like a sound loop: Never sign on for anybody's head trip but your own. And never trust any cloud you don't personally own with anything extremely important to you. "Own or be owned." That's my motto.

JavaJones:
I played with Wave on a number of occasions and in the context of 2 separate companies, and I never did find a situation where it was *clearly* better than either email, or a collaborative document workspace like GDocs is now (or Zoho was at that time, a bit ahead of GDocs then). I also don't think it really gave Google much useful info that they would have applied to G+, much more likely they applied its lessons to Gdocs and GApps in general. G+ isn't collaborative at all, nor is it anywhere near as persistent, both of which were huge founding principles of Wave.

Anyway, I'm glad Google experimented and let us all share in that experiment, but I'm also glad they have the sense to stop using resources on it when it clearly either wasn't a product that could/should succeed, wasn't ready to succeed, or "the world wasn't ready for it". In either of those 3 cases it is right to "kill" it for now. Fortunately Google is doing it right and open sourcing it, so if the idea is truly good, users can decide that and continue using it.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version