topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: $50k opportunity for software developer(s)  (Read 5013 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
$50k opportunity for software developer(s)
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Hi everyone, my company is working on a project where we would need a software interface to be built.  The companies that can provide this service that have approached us want too much ($1 million!) for something that is basically just a gui for a database.  Our management is looking for something around the $50k pricepoint.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll answer your questions.  Below is a quick summary of what they want:

There's a demonstration "garage" that will be showcasing green technology and how they tie into electrical sources, the effects they have etc.  In this garage, there will be an electric plugged into a charger that is connected to a fake grid (representing an electrical utility).  There will also be solar panels on the roof to simulate that power source, which is also centrally connected to the grid.  Then, there will be a wind turbing generating power somewhere, also connected to the grid.  Inside the garage will be a big plasma screen with some pretty GUI elements in there that will be reading the live data from all these electrical components.  So power consumption graphs, some odometer looking things, possibly a backlog of data that can be accessed with a gui interface, etc.

To me, it's a gui for reading information off of a database.  The mistake most companies are making is that they are pitching us software solutions that are electrical-specific or power-specific, and use some fancy language to make it seem like something special.  It's just a gui for a database, it doesn't matter what the data is.  Just make it read the database and spit out something that looks pretty.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: $50k opportunity for software developer(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02 PM »
PM'd :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:53 AM »
Are you already collecting data from the various devices and storing it in the database, though, or is part of the job to do the data collection as well? That's kiiiiinda relevant :)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Are you already collecting data from the various devices and storing it in the database, though, or is part of the job to do the data collection as well? That's kiiiiinda relevant :)

It sounds like a purely software project for displaying data to showcase the product/solution. Data collection with hardware places it well above $50k.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 06:55 AM »
Perhaps you can focus find a use for http://www.geckoboard.com/ .