topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Don't load tabs until selected" in Chrome? (Like in Firefox?)  (Read 41054 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

the Firefox folks invented a Damn Cool Thing (TM): the "Don't load tabs until selected" option (http://support.mozil...kb/Session%20Restore):

Tip: If you want to speed up the startup, check Don't load tabs until selected so that only the last selected tab is loaded.

Works like a charm, love it! Is there a way to get this behaviour in Chrome, too? I couldn't find an option, and neither an extension for that. :(

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Don't load tabs until selected" in Chrome? (Like in Firefox?)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26 PM »
No reply = not possible for Chrome? :( It *really* speeds up Firefox loading (with many tabs), would have liked the same in Chrome... ah well! Maybe another year.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 01:46 AM »
i didn't expect a feature of Firefox to be much anticipated in Chrome, normally it'd be the other way around. with Firefox supposedly playing catch-up to Chrome and all that..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 02:37 AM »
No reply = not possible for Chrome? :( It *really* speeds up Firefox loading (with many tabs), would have liked the same in Chrome... ah well! Maybe another year.

I see several people requesting it on chrome bug page.
I don't save sets of tabs. I open to about:blank to get the fastest load.
Then I click on Home or New Tab to get Speed Dial.

But I can see this as being a good feature. I'm downloading FF 8 now to
check it out.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 03:35 AM »
i didn't expect a feature of Firefox to be much anticipated in Chrome, normally it'd be the other way around. with Firefox supposedly playing catch-up to Chrome and all that..

Yeah, surprised me too!  8)

Oh, interesting! Where did you see them requesting it?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 12:30 PM »

Yeah, surprised me too!  8)

Oh, interesting! Where did you see them requesting it?

A feature request was submitted as a bug report. I didn't note the page. A search should pick it up. I just downloaded Chromium snap shot yesterday and it's not implemented in that. I expect it will be awhile if they do it.

I'm thinking a similar thing could be done with a launcher if you have a standard set of sites you open.  Of course you wouldn't have automatic "save tab set" on close.  But something could catch drag and drop of the sites from the address bar. I'll have to mess around with it to see if it's practical.

Although from the enthusiasm on the bug page and due to the fact FF just came out with it and chrome won't want to be left behind, it may be implemented from the inside before I can do my launcher hack.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 03:45 PM »
I wasn't able to find that page, that's why I asked. :) I thought about commenting to (in favor of the idea), but what you wrote sounds like there's enough support for it there already.  8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:55 PM »
I just installed FF 8. I'm going to try the Load Last Time option with the Only Load on Selected.  FF is pretty slow off the dime.  Usually I load to about:blank then show speed dial using New Tab.  But this may speed it up enough to dislodge that habit.

Found the chromium link:

http://code.google.c...ues/detail?id=104340

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Hmm, nice to have the feature but the way I've been doing it seems to suit me. Always good to have the option though.

I think I may make a little kludge to drag and drop the icon from the address bar onto a ListBox and have settings for delays so I can launch a set of sites with a browser and add tabs after a delay.  Like perhaps bring the browser up by launching the exe so it opens to about:blank if that's how it's set, for fastest load.  Then open the sites as tabs.

You can kind of do that from a batch file but it would be neater to be able to drag and drop onto the list right from the browser.  That may be my next small project.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I found the "TooManyTabs for Chrome" extension, which is not exactly like what Firefox offers, but (after getting used to its slightly weird ways) pretty helpful!

You can use it to 'put away' tabs you don't currenty need - not sure how to describe it exactly, but it's a good idea and made my Chrome experience (with many tabs) a lot smoother! Check out the screenshots/video on that page above.

Manage your tabs, improve your browsing, and maintain your sanity when you have many tabs open.

Ever tried having 20 tabs or more open in Chrome? You can’t even see the favicon of the tabs, not to mention the tab titles! If that happens to you, TooManyTabs is a must-have extension that manages your tabs, reduces your tab overflow, and saves your sanity!

From the makers of TooManyTabs for Firefox, TMT has come to Chrome to help all your tab needs!

Features
- Import tabs data from TooManyTabs for Firefox (NEW)
- Bird's eye view of all opened tabs
- Clear preview of each tab's content (fills up gradually as you use)
- Instant tab search
- Sort tabs by creation time, domain or title
- Restore recently closed tabs
- Suspend idle tabs and save memory, organize with custom columns
- Custom themes

[...]

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47 AM »
My kludge is in a usable form. It's more for those who work the opposite of multi-tab.  If you normally bring up your browser to a blank page this utility can open a collection of pages with adjustable delays:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=29029.0

Instead of wandering the wilderness looking for ways to drag deskCuts onto a Gui I took advantage of the fact most browsers let you drag the address bar icon from the start of the address onto the desktop to make a shortcut.

You hit the hotkey to gather all the deskCuts.  There's 2 modes of operation to launch.  See the thread in the link and the included Readme for details.

But as example, I just booted up.  No browser running.  I hit Alt-F10 then Enter and Chromium opened with DonationCoder Hotmail Vista Forums Windows Seven Forums open in tabs.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Nice! It doesn't really work with my way of browsing, but I'm sure it'll find its audience.  :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Nice! It doesn't really work with my way of browsing, but I'm sure it'll find its audience.  :up:

Thanks. Yeah, it's more for the "blank page" or "speed dial" crowd. One thing about Chromium, if you bring it up blank, even if the disk is quite busy it loads in snappy fashion.

I tend to play around too much with the snap shots though. After diddling around with a bunch of the 17.x versions I've gone back to trusty rusty Oct. 4 16.0.900.0. Just seems very solid and I haven't seen anything I want in 17.x

A bit off topic but have you noticed the Disable Hyperlink Auditing flag in about:flags ?? Apparently the next scheme for html5 is every time you click a link, a notice is sent to the tracking site.  Doesn't need tracking cookies anymore. It goes over in real time.

When I first noticed it I thought it was a ping to make sure the site existed before trying to load the page. Uh, not quite!!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 02:51 PM »
the Firefox folks invented a Damn Cool Thing (TM): the "Don't load tabs until selected" option (http://support.mozil...kb/Session%20Restore):

I've been doing that for a while via about:config - I didnt realise that they had made it easier, thanks!
Tom

Keating0

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Fellow old thread: I'm here from the future to save you.

Finally just found an extension to primitively do what we've all been looking for.

This page explains how to install it (for some reason it's not hosted on the extension store):
http://techdows.com/2013/02/chrome-load-tabs-on-demand.html

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 11:55 PM »
Cool. Going to test now...
In the meantime, relevant:

turkishsteve

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 11:32 AM »
I've just come across an extension called The Great Suspender, which works very well for me. As soon as Chrome starts loading up all of my tabs, I click on The Great Suspender and click "Suspend all tabs." I have it set up to automatically reload any tab I bring to the front, so I just click the tab I want to load.