ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Don't load tabs until selected" in Chrome? (Like in Firefox?)

<< < (2/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
i didn't expect a feature of Firefox to be much anticipated in Chrome, normally it'd be the other way around. with Firefox supposedly playing catch-up to Chrome and all that..
-lanux128 (December 02, 2011, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, surprised me too!  8)

I see several people requesting it on chrome bug page.
-MilesAhead (December 02, 2011, 02:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, interesting! Where did you see them requesting it?

-brotherS (December 02, 2011, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

A feature request was submitted as a bug report. I didn't note the page. A search should pick it up. I just downloaded Chromium snap shot yesterday and it's not implemented in that. I expect it will be awhile if they do it.

I'm thinking a similar thing could be done with a launcher if you have a standard set of sites you open.  Of course you wouldn't have automatic "save tab set" on close.  But something could catch drag and drop of the sites from the address bar. I'll have to mess around with it to see if it's practical.

Although from the enthusiasm on the bug page and due to the fact FF just came out with it and chrome won't want to be left behind, it may be implemented from the inside before I can do my launcher hack.

brotherS:
I wasn't able to find that page, that's why I asked. :) I thought about commenting to (in favor of the idea), but what you wrote sounds like there's enough support for it there already.  8)

MilesAhead:
I just installed FF 8. I'm going to try the Load Last Time option with the Only Load on Selected.  FF is pretty slow off the dime.  Usually I load to about:blank then show speed dial using New Tab.  But this may speed it up enough to dislodge that habit.

Found the chromium link:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=104340

MilesAhead:
Hmm, nice to have the feature but the way I've been doing it seems to suit me. Always good to have the option though.

I think I may make a little kludge to drag and drop the icon from the address bar onto a ListBox and have settings for delays so I can launch a set of sites with a browser and add tabs after a delay.  Like perhaps bring the browser up by launching the exe so it opens to about:blank if that's how it's set, for fastest load.  Then open the sites as tabs.

You can kind of do that from a batch file but it would be neater to be able to drag and drop onto the list right from the browser.  That may be my next small project.

brotherS:
I found the "TooManyTabs for Chrome" extension, which is not exactly like what Firefox offers, but (after getting used to its slightly weird ways) pretty helpful!

You can use it to 'put away' tabs you don't currenty need - not sure how to describe it exactly, but it's a good idea and made my Chrome experience (with many tabs) a lot smoother! Check out the screenshots/video on that page above.

Manage your tabs, improve your browsing, and maintain your sanity when you have many tabs open.

Ever tried having 20 tabs or more open in Chrome? You can’t even see the favicon of the tabs, not to mention the tab titles! If that happens to you, TooManyTabs is a must-have extension that manages your tabs, reduces your tab overflow, and saves your sanity!

From the makers of TooManyTabs for Firefox, TMT has come to Chrome to help all your tab needs!

Features
- Import tabs data from TooManyTabs for Firefox (NEW)
- Bird's eye view of all opened tabs
- Clear preview of each tab's content (fills up gradually as you use)
- Instant tab search
- Sort tabs by creation time, domain or title
- Restore recently closed tabs
- Suspend idle tabs and save memory, organize with custom columns
- Custom themes

[...]

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version