ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can anyone help - win 7 x64 driver issue

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I helped a friend yesterday upgrade her laptop from Vista x86 to 7 x64.

Everything is working except the webcam which is simply listed as an unknown device.

Win 7 compatibility report identified the device correctly before the upgrade and said it was compatible. I have a combined x86/x64 bit driver installation pacakge from Samsung's website. You have to use the setup.exe file for the installtion though (using right click and install on the ini file gives an error saying this method of installation cannot be used).

The problem seems to be that Windows 7 identifies the device incorrectly as an unknown USB Host Controller. Installing the device driver seems to work but the device doesn't pick up the driver.

Uninstalling the device in device manager and telling it to find the correct driver doesn't work (still thinks it is a host controller) and pointing the driver update to the correct driver folderr manually doesn't work (says no compatible hardware).

Anyone have any idea how to tell Windows 7 x64 to ignore its identification and install it as the device I choose? You used to be able to do this in earlier versions of Windows but I can't seem to see how you can in 64-bit windows.

Ath:
Did you install the driver first, and then inserted the USB connector?

If not, uninstalling and disconnecting, reboot, re-install, then connect could help. (Old-fashioned USB installation procedure)

Ath:
Unless the camera is internally connected :huh:

Carol Haynes:
Its an internal laptop camera.

I have effectively done that any way by installing the drivers, uninstalling the unknown device and then rebooting should allow the camera to pick up the correct driver. Unfortunately it still makes a wrong selection for device type.

4wd:
You could try Driver Pack Solution - I've used it to install/update some old hardware in my machine, (TV card), and it worked OK.

It gives you a list of drivers it contains updates for or that need installing but you can choose which ones you actually want it to do.

If nothing else, I've found it good for identifying the specific hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version