ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need Advice on a TV...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Renegade:
Of those two, LED is more common and has no screen "burn in" issues,
-JavaJones (November 19, 2011, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Definitely not true, no matter what the industry pundits keep saying.  I am looking at 6 different 42" Samsung LCD monitor/TV's here at work right now and 3 of them have severe burn-in.  They also have a nasty habit of burning out completely after only a year or two...Of course they are on 24/7/365 - so that may have something to do with it.  The only time they are "off" is during the PC reboot.
-steeladept (November 19, 2011, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are they commercial or consumer?

steeladept:
Not certain on the answer to that.  Consumer I believe, but that is only a guess.  CNet review calls it a "presentation display", so maybe it is commercial...

They are the SyncMaster 460P and 460px models (I believe the px models were the replacements for the original p models we got - I think).  The 460 means a 46" display, so I guess I was off, but it really doesn't matter to the discussion....

Renegade:
Those are commercial displays, but they are older (2005 models). Samsung has improved a lot over the past few years with their displays FWIW. I couldn't find any warranty information on them, but what I expect are similarly purposed displays now have 3-year on-site warranties.

I'm not really sure about how they now fare with burn-in though. Most of the stuff I look at is chip-based.

mahesh2k:
Samsung and LG are the two to look for if you're looking for - 1) Internet enabled 2) HDTV feat 3) 3D. There isn't much you'll notice in 3D with current TVs but still it's okay.

Stoic Joker:
Cool, thanks guys. I had tried Googling, but kept running into articles that either had no date ( :mad: ), or were over a year old ... And my brother keeps claiming that Plasma screens need to be "Re-Charged" every (six-ish) few years. *Shrug* It didn't make sense to me...But it also outside my skill-set. But...

Given that Plasma has much higher power consumption, I think I'll aim for the LED/LCD (over the CCFL/LCD) for much the same reason ... Assuming I can find one that is fully back lit (don't recall the correct term) as apposed to the edge lit ones in my price range.

Which still leaves the internet/DLNA question. The last thing I need is another computer ... So if I can get the TV on the wire and just pitch it a movie from my (current) comp (or one of the existing servers) that would be fine. The question is: Does the TV need anything specific to be "future friendly"? Or is all the "work" handled by the server software that the TV pulls from?

JJ's spot on about the surfing from/typing URL with remote part ... That ain't gonna happen. I'm just looking for the option to play a downloaded movie over the network so I don't have to screw with burning (and storing) disks. I don't know if the qualifies as a dumb TV or not, but I'm hoping that there is a balance point I can hit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version