topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Flipside  (Read 32327 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2012 Release: Flipside
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:29 AM »
    NANY 2012 Entry Information

Application Name Flipside
    Version 1.2012.01.12
    Short Description A game based on Sean Howard's Game Mechanic #41: Flipside
    Supported OSes Probably only Windows (XP, Vista, 7)
    Web Page http://flip.deozaan.com/
    Download Link * Flipside v1.2012.01.12 Win.zip (2221.88 kB - downloaded 641 times.)
    System Requirements
    • Windows XP/Vista/7
    Version Historyv1.2012.01.12
    - Added team turn indicator to make it clear which team's turn it currently is.
    v1.2011.12.31
    - Fixed bug where killing a unit blocking your path would not allow you to move to the newly available space(s).
    - Special units can now be attacked. Fixed bug that made units always do 2 points of damage. Fixed other various display glitches.

Previous version history.
    v0.2011.12.31
    - Combat has been implemented for normal units (meaning normal units cannot yet attack special units). Fixed a bug that allowed units to teleport to the opposite board without the help of a special unit.
    - Turns are now enforced. You cannot select a unit that is not on your team. Once a unit has moved or acted it cannot move or act (respectively) again and you cannot move or act with another unit on the same turn. End your turn by pressing the T key. I also made it easier for the special units to flip tiles with a double-right-click.
    v0.2011.12.30
    - Valid moves are now highlighted when a unit is selected. You can only flip tiles when a special unit is selected.
    v0.2011.11.30
    - Flipping tiles now also flips units from one board to the other and special units do not flip sides, nor will normal units flip sides if there is a special unit in the position it would flip sides to.
    v0.2011.11.29
    - Units can now be moved with the mouse. Moves are validated before being completed.
    v0.2011.11.16
    - Units now start at default positions.
    - Created function to reset board to initial colors.
    - Clicking left and right mouse buttons now highlights tiles to be flipped. Double clicking flips them.
    v0.2011.11.15
    - Tile flipping implemented. But it's not really a game yet.
    - Some interactivity but still unplayable.
    v0.2011.11.13
    - Unplayable Pre-Alpha.

AuthorDeozaan
    Screencast

Credits

Description
    The following description was adapted from Sean Howard's Game Mechanic #41: Flipside

This is a two-player game where both players play at the same keyboard (hotseat multiplayer). It has a very simple premise. You have a single board, where you play on both sides of it simultaneously. Basically, one side tries to kill the other side. Players take turns moving units and attacking each other.

Flipside Default Setup.pngNANY 2012 Release: Flipside

But wait, you say, if they are on two different sides of a plane, how do they fight each other? You notice that each side have two different looking units in the corners. They are special units. They cannot be killed, but they also cannot attack either. If they are targeted and hit, they will be pushed back a square in the opposite direction of the attack.

But if they aren't combat units, what do they do? They can flip specific squares from one side to the other. The unit with a + on his helmet flips all the squares in the same row and column (orthogonally), while the unit with an X on his helmet flips all the tiles going out diagonally from his position. The special units do not change sides at all, ever, but any other unit on a flipped square is moved to the other side regardless of which side he started on, unless of course one of the special units is occupying a tile that a regular unit would flip to.

Flipside Diagonal Highlights.pngNANY 2012 Release: Flipside Flipside Diagonal Swapped.pngNANY 2012 Release: Flipside Flipside Orthogonal Highlights.pngNANY 2012 Release: Flipside Flipside Orthogonal Swapped.pngNANY 2012 Release: Flipside

Features
    Hotseat multiplayer.
    The game is portable in the sense that it will work from a portable drive, however, be aware it does create folders/files in the user directory on the PC that need to be manually removed if you care about that.

Screenshots
    In the description above.

Instructions
    Left click to select a piece to move, then click within the green squares shown to move it to that position, or left click the unit again to unselect it. You cannot unselect a unit if it has already moved or performed an action.

Right click to perform an action. Normal units can attack adjacent enemy units (not diagonally).

Right click with a special unit selected to see which tiles will be flipped by that unit. If you want to flip those tiles, double-right-click. Remember, special units cannot attack. They can only flip tiles and units located on the flipped tiles.

Due to the fact that you may be able to move or perform an action when you don't want to, you will sometimes need to press T to end your turn. Note that you always have to manually end your turn with T after moving a special unit if you don't also want to flip any tiles on that turn. Also note that you can't skip your own turn without doing anything. You must move or perform an action before ending your turn.

It should also be noted that units benefit from being on the same colored squares and are weakened when standing on opposite colored squares. So a light knight standing on a light square will do more damage and take less damage than a light knight standing on a dark square.

Installation
    Unzip to location of your preference (see known issues below for directory locations the game might not work in).

Using the Application
    Run the Flipside.exe file.

Uninstallation
    Delete the Flipside folder.

WinXP: Delete the \Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Craven Entertainment\Flipside\ folder.
    Vista/Win7: Delete the \Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Craven Entertainment\Flipside\ folder.

Known Issues
    The game will not run properly if the path contains non-ASCII characters. So if your Windows username uses non-ASCII characters, don't try running it on your Desktop or from within other folders in your User directory.[/list]
    « Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:03 PM by Deozaan »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    Re: Pledge: Flipside
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:31 AM »
    Oooohh, a game!  I think this is the only game pledge, so far. Eager to see it as it develops, Deozaan!  :up:

capitalH

• Participant
    • Joined in 2008
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:00 AM »
    Oooohh, a game!  I think this is the only game pledge, so far. Eager to see it as it develops, Deozaan!  :up:

Except for Hangman? By you?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:33 AM »

Except for Hangman? By you?

;D :D :P :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:58 PM »
    LOL, got me!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:40 PM »
    Updated with more description, screenshots, and even a build of the game you can download and play around with.

Combat has not yet been implemented, so it's not really a game yet. It's more like just a toy/tech demo for now.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 08:08 PM »
    Deozaan, if you want to make any more changes/updates to the program before releasing it, let me know. It's a great app, and we want to get it screencasted as soon as possible. The way mouser and I know these apps are ready is when the authors change "Pledge" and/or "Early Beta" in the OP title to include the word Release.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    Re: NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Alpha: Flipside
    « Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 03:18 AM »
    I'm still working on it. It's not quite ready for release. In fact, the latest changes I've made to it make it less playable than the previously released early alpha version while I transition from the unstructured free-for-all gameplay to implementing combat and enforcing turns.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    Re: NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Alpha: Flipside
    « Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 12:43 PM »
    No sweat. Several hours left (hey, no pressure, right?  :P )

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    Re: NANY 2012 Release: Flipside
    « Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:42 PM »
    I've just uploaded the official NANY release. It could still use some work but it's a lot further along than I thought I'd be able to get it since last night.

mouser

• First Author
    • Administrator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 03:27 AM »
    Can you re-upload and check your zip file -- the one you uploaded has errors in it.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
    • Joined in 2008
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 03:44 AM »
    My system's unzipping doesn't seem to unzip all of the content, though using 7-Zip seems to yield more results...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 04:15 AM »
    I just downloaded the currently uploaded file and it unzipped and ran fine here. :huh:

I created the archive with 7-Zip 9.20 and that's what I'm using to unzip it.

I just created a new archive using a different (worse) compression method which I've just uploaded.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 05:01 AM »
    Thanks to feedback from mouser I've created a "how to play.txt" and included it with the new zip file.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:40 AM »
    I embedded the YouTube Screencast into the original topic and also added this important part about combat that I neglected to mention:

It should also be noted that units benefit from being on the same colored squares and are weakened when standing on opposite colored squares. So a light knight standing on a light square will do more damage and take less damage than a light knight standing on a dark square.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 11:54 PM »
    Game crashed/froze when I moved the guy in the top left corner of the 'light side' board. Also, just a thought, maybe an arrow or something to signify who's turn it is?

Great seeing this in a release!  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 12:10 AM »
    Game crashed/froze when I moved the guy in the top left corner of the 'light side' board. Also, just a thought, maybe an arrow or something to signify who's turn it is?

Great seeing this in a release!  :Thmbsup:

It sounds like you didn't end your turn by pressing T after moving the special unit. If that's not the case then please send me your console.log so I can look for errors. Thanks.

You're right. I need to add some sort of indication of which team's turn it is. I'll add it to my to-do list. :Thmbsup:

Thanks for playing.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13 AM »
    It sounds like you didn't end your turn by pressing T after moving the special unit. If that's not the case then please send me your console.log so I can look for errors. Thanks.

You're right. I need to add some sort of indication of which team's turn it is. I'll add it to my to-do list. :Thmbsup:

Thanks for playing.

I must have missed the T key. That's what I get for using a Dvorak Keyboard layout.  :-[ I'll keep testing this out and encourage others to do the same!

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 06:29 PM »
    I've just added a visual turn indicator to the game to make it much easier to see which team's turn it currently is.

The original post has been updated with new download link.