ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A light-field camera? Ok. This is very cool!

(1/3) > >>

40hz:
There's a new and surprisingly affordable ($399-$499) camera using something called an 11-megaray light-field sensor that's due out in early 2012. Made by Lytro, it allows you to grab a shot and then focus within the picture after it's been taken. Almost like being in one of those police forensic or spy-thriller scenes where some character inevitably says "Can you enhance that spot over there?"

Well...now it looks like you can.

A light-field camera? Ok. This is very cool!

Very svelte and stylish form factor. It also packs an 8X optical zoom and features instant-on. Sweet!

In addition to some excellent uses in news and blogging photography, I'm sure this technology will also be a major boon for all the "up-skirt" and "down-blouse" photo creeps out there. Oh well...

Endgadget has a review of it here. Check it out!
 :Thmbsup:

(Note to moderator(s): Could one of you folks move this post over to the Living Room? I don't know why I put it on the software discussion board. Thx.) Thanks whoever did it! :)

Stoic Joker:
Lytro's desktop software (which you'll need to open and export .lfp files) is currently Mac only, with a Windows version in development.
--- End quote ---

:mad: (Burn the witch, burn the witch!)

Curt:
-maybe when the Windows version comes, Lytro will have had time to further improve on their little wonder app. Fantastic as it may be (already is), the pictures for now seems to only stand out while shot on short distances.

Renegade:
Meh, so what about the camera or software... What's their patent portfolio look like? :P (Kidding -- it looks very cool!)

But actually, these guys look like they've got something that is really innovative.

So, who's going to buy them first?  :huh:

IainB:
I've wanted one of these since I first read of the "new" light field science/research by Dr. Ren Ng that led to the development of this newtech camera.
"Honey, I shrunk the plenoptic camera!"

This looks like it could be a more significant/disruptive technology than (say) either the digital camera, or Dr Land's Polaroid instant print camera.

But I won't be ordering a Lytro camera just yet, at those prices.
I'll just sit here drooling over it instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version