ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

RIAA Doesn't Like the "Used Digital Music" Business

(1/2) > >>

IainB:
Fascinating: RIAA Doesn't Like the "Used Digital Music" Business

Why am I  not surprised by this?      ;D

mahesh2k:
We're in 2011/2012 now and why artists need middle-man and record lables or orgies like RIAA ? Seriously, uploading directly to cloud stores without middle man saves a lot of money. Promotion is not that hard, i mean it's not that biggie. Atleast for genres like Trance, New Age, House, Techno, Drum n Bass and Ambient, there's hardly any benefit from record labels. Especially when they take 60% cut of profit for the sake of fame.

IainB:
Yes. Exactly.
It rather looks like the RIAA may have just shot themselves in the foot.
They have been playing King Canute all this time, trying to fight the tide of CHANGE that threatens to make their business model (and themselves) obsolete by supply-chain compression, using an imaginary (unproven) threat of loss of business revenue as justification. Now when someone apparently buys into the imaginary aspect and starts selling second-hand bits of the imaginary "product", the RIAA don't like it.

Sheesh.

nosh:
RIAA and all its sliminess aside, Redigi seems somewhat shady to me.

From their press release:
Part of its genius is in its revolutionary technology that transfers an eligible
digital music file from one user to another without allowing multiple copies to exist at the
same time.
--- End quote ---

So if I buy a music file from an online store and transfer it to multiple music players, back it up to an external HD or online - and then put it up for sale, Redigi in all its genius has the capability to delete the file from all these places? Looks like the RIAA has met its match! Hehehe! Clownfight! I'm lovin it!  :P

40hz:
Not surprising. Now that music has been legally transitioned from being a hard product to a form of intellectual property, you can no longer buy anything other than the "right" to listen to it via a very one-sided license. And FWIW, lawyers are seldom more creative than when they're drafting licensing terms. Trust me, I've dealt with them.

So, game over for music "purchases." Much like beer: "You don't buy it - you only rent it!" as the old saying goes.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version