topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RIAA Doesn't Like the "Used Digital Music" Business  (Read 3326 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
RIAA Doesn't Like the "Used Digital Music" Business
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:34 AM »
Fascinating: RIAA Doesn't Like the "Used Digital Music" Business

Why am I  not surprised by this?      ;D

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RIAA Doesn't Like the "Used Digital Music" Business
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:11 AM »
We're in 2011/2012 now and why artists need middle-man and record lables or orgies like RIAA ? Seriously, uploading directly to cloud stores without middle man saves a lot of money. Promotion is not that hard, i mean it's not that biggie. Atleast for genres like Trance, New Age, House, Techno, Drum n Bass and Ambient, there's hardly any benefit from record labels. Especially when they take 60% cut of profit for the sake of fame.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06 AM »
Yes. Exactly.
It rather looks like the RIAA may have just shot themselves in the foot.
They have been playing King Canute all this time, trying to fight the tide of CHANGE that threatens to make their business model (and themselves) obsolete by supply-chain compression, using an imaginary (unproven) threat of loss of business revenue as justification. Now when someone apparently buys into the imaginary aspect and starts selling second-hand bits of the imaginary "product", the RIAA don't like it.

Sheesh.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:44 AM »
RIAA and all its sliminess aside, Redigi seems somewhat shady to me.

From their press release:
Part of its genius is in its revolutionary technology that transfers an eligible
digital music file from one user to another without allowing multiple copies to exist at the
same time.

So if I buy a music file from an online store and transfer it to multiple music players, back it up to an external HD or online - and then put it up for sale, Redigi in all its genius has the capability to delete the file from all these places? Looks like the RIAA has met its match! Hehehe! Clownfight! I'm lovin it!  :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Not surprising. Now that music has been legally transitioned from being a hard product to a form of intellectual property, you can no longer buy anything other than the "right" to listen to it via a very one-sided license. And FWIW, lawyers are seldom more creative than when they're drafting licensing terms. Trust me, I've dealt with them.

So, game over for music "purchases." Much like beer: "You don't buy it - you only rent it!" as the old saying goes.  :-\

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Blocking license transfers is a pretty douchey thing to do. But what did anyone expect from the RIAA? The MPAA will follow the moment they see an opportunity.

The RIAA isn't remotely about music.

Reminds me very much about Stallman's story about books. Is there a difference? I don't see one.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker