ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Printer PaperSource Explorer 1.2.0.0

<< < (5/5)

Stoic Joker:
The WinXP display seems quite accurate, doesn't it?-Ath (December 03, 2011, 03:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

The more I think about it, after rereading the thread a few times, I'm actually not sure. But I'm beginning to suspect that I may be reading the programs output incorrectly. You mentioned earlier that in the original version you were primarily interested in the "Bin Numbers". By that do you mean the Tray X column, or the BinNr: X string at the end? I'm actually rather curious what the last one would be used for.

My initial assumption was that the program was to list the trays available, and have a media description (size/type) of the contents of each tray for each print device ... So the user would know how to pick what from where. Am I incorrect in this assumption? Here's a screen shot (from the latest 1.1.2 build) of what I'm thinking the output should be (PPSE is on the left, LJ2100 driver on the right):

I just want to make sure I'm on the right page, because my intention really is to help, not be a PITA. :)

Ath:
SJ,

My original intent, back in 2007, was to be able to detect/determine the (low-level) bin numbers (the BinNr.:x at the end) to use for some older software that directly drives the printers with PCL5/PCL6 code and needs to select the correct numbers in the PCL code it sends. I had been testing with an old LJ4Plus that had an extra tray mounted underneath the main tray, and all was simple/well.
Eventually it turned out that the drivers used by the more modern (both HP and other brands) printers reported totally different numbers from the actually required PCL-code numbers >:(
Though the list of possible trays was useful in some situations, this was still one of the reasons this project was shelved back then, as I couldn't find more accurate data :huh:

To be able to match possible paper trays, as gathered from the printer driver, and what's actually installed in the printer, I (have to) query Windows components. I (currently) don't intend to try and query the printers directly to retrieve that information, as that would be a project of several years, just to acquire the knowledge of retrieving it from all the printer brands available. (What are standards good for?)
Seeing your LJ2100, and the totally different (read: 'lack of' for Win7) information available on XP and Windows 7, I don't have much hope for better information from a lot of other drivers.

If you need/want the information on the paper sizes, I can try to squeeze that info in the view, though atm, I'm unsure I can directly match it to the tray at hand.
I'll release 1.1.3.0 first with an added bin-detection method.

Ath:
Updated Printer PaperSource Explorer to version 1.1.3.0-beta.
From the Changelog:

--- Code: Text ---2011-12-03, v1.1.3.0-beta- Added matching a known bin when the bin-number is in the printer name separated by #: (as seen in Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMWare)
Get the update either by running Help/Check for Updates (using DCupdater), or download the installer form the first message in this thread.

Ath:
It's a tad early, but I took the liberty of making it already official:

NANY2012 Release of Printer PaperSource Explorer version 1.2.0.0.

From the Changelog:

--- Code: Text ---2011-12-07, v1.2.0.0 (Release)- Added option to show the location of a printer- Added option to show the known Media and Sizes (driver-data, not printer-data!) (In Other Information submenu)- Added option to show the known Mediatypes (driver-data, not printer-data!) (In Other Information submenu)- Added options to be stored between sessions, including the position and size of the main form. (per user: %APPDATA%\PaperSourceExplorer\PaperSourceExplorer.config)- Changed Expand All Nodes to not expand the Media and Sizes and Mediatypes nodes if enabled- Improved to have application icon on the main window- Improved printed summary to have all selected optional information- Changed processing order to first display the main form with Loading... text, and then retrieve the printer data- Changed Installer to also offer to open the Changelog.txt at the end of the install
Get the update either by running Help/Check for Updates (using DCupdater), or download the installer form the first message in this thread.

The ToDo that's still open I can't say for sure to be released before/at 01-01-2012, as I'll be busy helping some family members move to their new house from next week on :-[
I'll check the forum for bugreports and feature requests as usual (maybe a bit less frequent), and release updates when needed :up:

kyrathaba:
Congrats on the Release, Ath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version