ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Printer PaperSource Explorer 1.2.0.0

<< < (3/5) > >>

Ath:
SJ, I'm investigating this, to see if I can detect what trays are actually available/installed. Usually it can be either set from the Advanced tab on the printer settings, or it's detected by the driver by querying the printer. Now to get my prying fingers at that info... :huh:

Stoic Joker:
I'll warn you ahead of time, the Universal Print Driver that HP (and many others) have switched to for Win 7 tends to fail when trying to read that info from the printer. That's why trays 3 - 9 aren't grayed out (like they should be) in the shots above.

I was actually wondering why PPSE thought I had custom paper in trays 1 & 2.

Ath:
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
That info is straight from the driver. Originally I never thought about getting current configuration from the printer, as I was just interested in the  binnumbers :-[.
I've been experimenting/investigating with reading current info from the PrintServer, but that has the disadvantage of using different names for the inputbins :'( but I'm trying to match them. Not sure yet if the bin-type has anything to do with the paper type setting, I'll compare those too to see if there are differences or more accurate data. I'll post an update tonight (CET), so we can see if/how my matching algorithm works out :tellme:

Maybe I should add a disclaimer like:
Any discrepancies caused by drivers are the manufacturers' responsibility :P

Stoic Joker:
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
That info is straight from the driver. Originally I never thought about getting current configuration from the printer, as I was just interested in the  binnumbers :-[. -Ath (December 02, 2011, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Trust me, That one is a nightmare as there really isn't a prevailing standard on how to put what where, so you spend the entire time MIB walking the plank trying to find a crumb of valid info.. But I was going the SNMP route for network printers ... You should have better luck with the locally attached/driver query route.

I've been experimenting/investigating with reading current info from the PrintServer, but that has the disadvantage of using different names for the inputbins :'( but I'm trying to match them. Not sure yet if the bin-type has anything to do with the paper type setting, I'll compare those too to see if there are differences or more accurate data.-Ath (December 02, 2011, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

As I understand it no.
Bin types are standard tray, envelope feeder, etc.
Paper types are plain, letterhead, glossy... (media descriptions)
Paper size is letter, legal, custom, 11x17, etc.

...But that's from the print device side of the driver. Hard to say what happens on the other side for the user (I try to stay away from them).

Maybe I should add a disclaimer like:
Any discrepancies caused by drivers are the manufacturers' responsibility :P
-Ath (December 02, 2011, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

:D :Thmbsup:

Ath:
Updated Printer PaperSource Explorer to version 1.1.0.0-beta.
From the Changelog:

--- Code: Text ---2011-12-03, v1.1.0.0-beta- Use Windows PrintServer runtime information to separate Active from Hidden/Disabled bins- Load printer data at startup only, and when Refresh is used, to improve display speed.- Added Edit/Expand All Nodes option- Added Edit/Display Hidden/Disabled bins option- Added Edit/Display Runtime bin-names option- Added Edit/Display Unrecognized Runtime bin-names optionGet the update either by running Help/Check for Updates (using DCupdater), or download the installer form the first message in this thread.

@Stoic Joker: Hope you can find some time to check this out, please report any issues here

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version