topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ccleaner settings Windows  (Read 6083 times)

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ccleaner settings Windows
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:18 AM »
Good day!,
Looking at Ccleaner - Windows - System
i see the check-mark for: Font Cache.
What is this? And is it recommended to clean this cache from time to time?
And
Under Advanced: Several options:
What is recommended to check/uncheck?
Thanks for help.
PitrPaulus

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ccleaner settings Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:00 AM »
I would only bother if you have some indication is has been corrupted ... You can delete it; but it will just be recreated. This will actually slow down your machine while that takes place.

There are defaults set. I would only override those that I was pretty sure what they do. particularly windows/system settings.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:25 AM by hpearce »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ccleaner settings Windows
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:05 AM »
I have been a user of CCleaner (and Revo Uninstaller) for ages, and, coincidentally only today I was using CCL experimenting with it to see just how much disk space it could recover if I set it to be be more aggressive than usual - e.g., including (for the first time) getting it to zap the Font Cache. The results were quite impressive.

I think @hpearce is correct though in what he says. Anyway, I won't be getting CCL to zap the Font Cache very often.

One problem I have noticed though is that using registry cleaners seems to occasionally blow away my xplorer² bookmarks (they are held in the Registry) - which is very frustrating (tedious to rebuild my bookmarks). I have now set up a regular backup and easy restore process for the bookmarks - on the advice of the author of xplorer² at http://zabkat.com/
Incidentally, he reckons that registry cleaners generally are a waste of time, but I can't agree with that as it does seem pretty certain that junk tends to accumulate in the Registry, over time.