ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

text editor with 'hyperlinks'? simple local wiki? [TiddlyWiki]

(1/2) > >>

brotherS:
Hi,

I need to organize a lot of (simple) text in a way where navigating within one document won't becomes a mess anymore. Scrolling up and down and just using the search to jump around doesn't work well here (>2000 lines of text) anymore. ;)

If I recall correctly I once read about an approach where you can add internal 'hyperlinks' in a simple text editor: like adding an overview somewhere in the file with simple links that jump to a given paragraph. And next to that paragraph you can add a link back to the overview.

Any ideas? I still need to be able to update the text easily, so creating a PDF won't work for example. Since this solution has to work offline, would some simple kind of local wiki work? (I just recalled that in wikipedia you could simply use "== XYZ ==" to create such links (as headlines).) Which wiki is free and easy to install, easy to use? The only feature I probably need is an ability to adjust the font size (in the editor and when viewing the result).

IainB:
Yes several PIM wikis or ToDo wkis use hyperlinks like this. I think you need to take a suck-it-and-see approach and try them out to find one that suits your needs best.
MS OneNote uses hyperlinks too, as a possible item of interest.

brotherS:
I used Google again to look for alternatives and am now trying http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ - seems to be most easy of 'em all to install, because you basically just - locally - edit the wiki, which is a rather simple html file in your browser. No need to install Apache first.  :Thmbsup:

Its concept is quite different from Wikipedia, so let's see if I can get used to it.  :-[

wraith808:
ZuluPad is cheap, easy, and has simple online syncing if you need it.  The original ZuluPad is open source, but I'd go for the pro version- it's only $15 (I paid full price in spite of a DC discount at the time)

bob99:
AllMyNotes will allow you to include links to web sites or local files.
Version 2.52 introduced drag and drop links from a file manager.  It has helped me with organizing my local files.  There is a free version, currently a 15% discount for pro on their website and it has also been featured on BitsDuJour from time to time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version