ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

where to start learning to program in c++

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jibz:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Plus_Plus#History_of_C.2B.2B

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#invention

I started work on what became C++ in 1979. The initial version was called "C with Classes". The first version of C++ was used internally in AT&T in August 1983. The name "C++" was used late that year. The first commercial implementation was released October 1985 at the same time as the publication of the 1st edition of The C++ Programming Language.-Bjarne
--- End quote ---

mouser:
i was in the bookstore today and browsed through
C++ Primer 4th edition by Lippman et al.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201721481

It seemed to my eyes to be a great book for learning c++,
much more inviting than the deitel book, at least at first glance.

Bitwise:
C++ ....aaarrrgggghhhhh.....!

This is one language I've never grown to love. I get the feeling that Stroustrup just doesn't know when to stop. It's like he keeps wanting to add more and more and more stuff into it. Far, far too much syntax for my liking. C# I'm happy with; Java I'm happy with (though I'm not wild on the class libraries); Object Pascal (Delphi or Chrome) I'm happy with; even VB .NET (though not VB 6 and earlier) I could live in peace with. But I must say that "happy" is not word that springs readily to mind when I have to code in C++   :(

all the best
Huw

Dragonrider:
> Quote from: Bjarne
> I started work on what became C++ in 1979. The initial version was called "C with Classes". The first
> version of C++ was used internally in AT&T in August 1983. The name "C++" was used late that year. The first
> commercial implementation was released October 1985 at the same time as the publication of the 1st edition of
> The C++ Programming Language.

I worked for Bell Labs between 1980 - 1983 & used to have the 1st internal paper that Stroustrup wrote on "C with Classes".  And I thought it wouldn't be adopted by the C programming community so I threw it away.  1 never knows when 1 has a classic collectable on his hands.  ;)

Regards
Dragonrider

dtrud0h:
Well,
  Thank you all for your replies.  I guess I' m on the right path, I frequent the bookstores when I have time and hover in the programming section. I usually read through the first two chapters of a book each time I go and have found a few that seem like I could follow them through and get something out of them.  The biggest problem is trying to decide wether I want to program for linux, or windows.  I don't know if it matters from a choosing of the flavor standpoint but I'm seriously leaning toward linux solely because I think it is starting to get really close to becoming a viable contender for the average user to be able to handle.
 Secondly because When you download a FREE Distribution of almost any Linux it comes with what compares to about $7500 worth of editors, compilers and whatnot that I wouldn't have to buy to run on windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version