ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

multiple monitors vs large monitor?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Deozaan:
I say both.

Get multiple large monitors. :D

Stoic Joker:
I say both.

Get multiple large monitors. :D
-Deozaan (November 16, 2011, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hay! ...Nothing wrong with compromize... ;)

nudone:
I was trying to resist braggin, I mean chipping in...

Go for three if you can, a nice big one in the middle and smaller ones either side. I've got the perfect setup after years of half-hearted experimentation (quadruple monitors were a waste of time).

My array now resembles an extremely widescreen monitor that covers the width of the desk. So that's a 30" flanked by two 20"s in portrait mode.

I sometimes sit in front of a 24" screen on an older pc and it feels claustrophobic.

barney:
Late to the fray again  :-[.

I have two (2) laptops set up, each having a 2nd, 24" monitor.  One machine, a 17", is the work machine.  The other, a 15.6", is a documentation, reference, email, research machine.  For instance, when I'm working on Web stuff, I'll have PHP documentation up on the 15" screen, JS (or other) references up on its 24" screen, as well as a browser for researching issues those docs do not reference or resolve.  The 17" laptop screen will have some IDE up, often two (2) or three (3), while the 24" screen for this box will have, usually, several browsers up to check output, as well as other reference material - myBase, WikeNotes, Ultra Recall, gbCodeLib, Source Code Library, and the like, to let me reference various snippets I may have acquired.

When I have occasion to travel - the 17" machine is the traveler, in spite of its weight - I tend to feel very cramped and shut in with just the one (1) screen  ;D.

Methinks there's no possible single monitor/screen configuration that could do what I'm accustomed to doing.  Even the old four (4) quadrant plasma screens I used at some previous jobs don't hold a candle to what's here right now.

Sidebar:  When I get my new external video card unit, I'll have up to four (4) monitors hooked to one machine.  Downside to that will be, of course, RAM and CPU limitations on that machine - a significant consideration when thinking of multiple monitors with multiple applications running from one (1) box.  

All things considered I'd say multiple monitors, no matter how small, will outperform a single giant one (1) every time.

tomos:
the thing about monitors these days is the format, long and, eh, shallow. Can you even get any other format these days expect 16:9 ?

I think nudones setup would appeal to me best - even with "just" two monitors (big landscape, smaller portrait).

I just have one 16:10 monitor and it suits my needs okay (so I think it depends very much on your needs/work-pattern), two would be very nice, but an unnecessary luxury for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version