ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

multiple monitors vs large monitor?

<< < (2/5) > >>

mouser:
Multiple monitors all the way.
Its not just about screen real estate.  With multiple monitors you can more easily layout and maximize different applications on different monitors (though a program like GridMove helps a lot if you are using one big one).

wraith808:
I've got two 17" monitors at home, and one 22" widescreen monitor here at work. When I'm at work, I really miss the two 17s ... And when I'm at home, I never miss the 22.
-Stoic Joker (November 16, 2011, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say it depends on the size and the use.  For those sizes, I can see why you'd feel that way.  But I have a 25" at home, and with Windows 7 and the snap to edge of screen, I don't miss the 2-17" monitors from work.

(That said, now I have my laptop screen, a 24", and 2-17" monitors at work on 2 separate computers using multiplicity... *that* is great!)

40hz:
With multiple monitors you can more easily layout and maximize different applications on different monitors (though a program like GridMove helps a lot if you are using one big one).
-mouser (November 16, 2011, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or (with a single monitor) consider using Linux since multiple desktops are both the norm - and work quite well in that environment. (Good thing too since multi-monitor setups can still get annoyingly tricky on some Linux boxes. It's gotten better recently. But it can still be a headache depending on the graphic card selected.)

wraith808:
With multiple monitors you can more easily layout and maximize different applications on different monitors (though a program like GridMove helps a lot if you are using one big one).
-mouser (November 16, 2011, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or (with a single monitor) consider using Linux since multiple desktops are both the norm - and work quite well in that environment. (Good thing too since multi-monitor setups can still get annoyingly tricky on some Linux boxes. It's gotten better recently. But it can still be a headache depending on the graphic card selected.)

-40hz (November 16, 2011, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are a couple of good multi-desktop programs for Windows too - AltDesk was the one that I found I liked most.  (Though I recently saw the mac implementation and had to admit it was pretty slick).

Stoic Joker:
For trying to monitor a remote server that's in the process of doing, stuff... While also trying to have a life. the dual monitors cannot be beat. I can do a full screen for the server on monitor 1, while continuing with my stuff on monitor 2. Ya can't do that with a single wide monitor.

And if you're thinking why not put the remote server in a window? That's because the remote server is an entry point to several other machines that are also being accessed on the remote network, that are running in windows. So if I'm tied into multiple remote networks (happens frequently), I really need to keep the who's who separated to avoid creating more problems than I'm currently trying to solve. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version