ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Save the internet"

<< < (6/17) > >>

IainB:
Looks like the US Government has been getting very heavy-handed about this since around 2007 at least, but on foreign soil, not US - presumably all at the behest of the RIAA/MAFIAA: Not-So-Gentle Persuasion: US Bullies Spain into Proposed Website Blocking Law

Courtesy of those Wikileaks scoundrels people, apparently.

berry:
Thanks to the internet creating an atmosphere for interaction with people from around the world, I can see why the US is so despised and am often embarrassed by our actions.

Regardless of appearances, we do not live in a free society. The concepts of the founding fathers have been usurped by our present, corrupt two-party system, and nothing is likely to change it.

We publicize the "protests" of other countries, encouraging the people to act, but if our own citizens attempt to protest (occupy wall street) we throw them in jail and/or force them to disband.

Once proud, I now feel I need to apologize for being American.

40hz:
-berry (January 06, 2012, 04:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think we need to apologize for being Americans.

What we do need to apologize for is allowing a small and very un-American cabal of religious, political, and business interests to subvert almost everything this nation stands for - and with hardly any challenge or protest on our part.

As Walt Kelly's character Pogo so aptly said:

Looks like the pushback is finally starting however. Occupy Wall Street is only the tip of the iceburg.

I wonder if that's what recently motivated 'the powers that be' to get the US military out of Afghanistan and Iraq and back home as quickly as possible. You'd almost think somebody in Washington was worried they might be needed here... 8)

IainB:
--- End quote ---
No apology needed. Fact is, the US is still one of the greatest and most highly civilised nations in the planet's recorded history.
It was arguably the British who used to be the arch meddlers in other countries' national affairs, and now it seems to be the Americans, Russians and Arabs - but the US is the one that most others are probably most likely to envy and respect the power of. (Doesn't stop some of 'em hating the US though, I guess.)

I reckon it was put quite nicely in an earlier and separate thread in DCF:
... I equally detest smug anti-Americanism just as much as crass American self-aggrandizement.
I'm not going to apologize for living here, and believe it or not, I kinda like the place.
-Edvard (February 06, 2010, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

The people have a choice as to whether to lie down and accept anything wrong in what @40hz refers to here:
What we do need to apologize for is allowing a small and very un-American cabal of religious, political, and business interests to subvert almost everything this nation stands for - and with hardly any challenge or protest on our part.
-40hz (January 06, 2012, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

And where he says:
I wonder if that's what recently motivated 'the powers that be' to get the US military out of Afghanistan and Iraq and back home as quickly as possible. You'd almost think somebody in Washington was worried they might be needed here... 8)
--- End quote ---
- I would suggest that one answer could be what is in unconfirmed reports, that some H-U-G-E US military materials and capability movements into Israel and its offshore are in progress.

berry:
--- End quote ---

I don't think we need to apologize for being Americans.

--- End quote ---

Maybe not for being American, but I do feel a need to apologize for the way "America" attempts to impose it's will around the world (e.g. SOPA, etc) and explain that does not necessarily represent the thinking of the majority of americans.

See Ian's post above "Looks like the US Government has been getting very heavy-handed about this since around 2007 at least, but on foreign soil, not US - presumably all at the behest of the RIAA/MAFIAA: Not-So-Gentle Persuasion: US Bullies Spain into Proposed Website Blocking Law"

cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version