topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DONE: If you have a many-buttons-mouse, you'll like this  (Read 28188 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you've got a 6-buttons mouse and like to listen to music, i'm almost sure you'll like this!
This is a script that allows you to control any player that accepts the global keyboard media keys with your mouse's buttons.
I.E., you can control windows media player, winamp (if you enable the global hotkeys), zoom player, etc, by pressing your mouse's buttons.

Of course it wouldn't make any sense to just have mouse buttons bound to those actions.
That's why the buttons are only bound if you're in "Multimedia Mouse Mode".
This means that when you press "back button"+"right-click button" at the same time, you toggle this mode on or off.
When it's off, the mouse acts as normal. When it's on, the following keys are available:

[attach = 1][/attach]
  • Back button will send "previous media track"
  • Forward button will send "next media track"
  • Middle mouse button will send "pause/play media"
  • Mouse Wheel Up will raise the volume
  • Mouse Wheel down will lower the volume

I kept right mouse button and left mouse button operational even with multimedia mouse moed enabled because sometimes you just want to raise the volume or something while surfing at the same time.

There are also other keys defined for those who don't have a many-buttons mouse:
  • Middle-Click + Right-Click activate multimedia mouse mode
  • Middle-Button + MouseWheel Down sends "previous media track"
  • Middle-Button + MouseWheel Up sends "next media track"

I hope someone will find this as useful as I do ;)

Download HERE for the ahk script.
Download HERE for the executable script.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:20 PM by jgpaiva »

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: If you have a many-buttons-mouse, you'll like this
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 04:35 PM »
I really like this idea! Would it be possible to have the script "know" what program is active and adjust the keys on the fly?
So if winamp is open (or on top) the mouse keys switch to "multimedia mode" but if firefox is on top it'll switch back to "normal mode." If you use photoshop a lot, you could make a "paint mode" that would make the scroll up and down change layers. Or an "email mode" where the various keys could delete, forward, reply, etc.

There is a mouse program like this for Logitech mice, but as far as I know the programmer has dropped off the planet. The program is called "LogiGamer."

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:05 PM »
Oops... I think i replied to that post on the keyboard thread.

But i'll explain it a bit better, because i think people don't understand what i mean.
The thing is:

Your mouse's buttons aren't always bound to those functions, that would be wasting mouse buttons, since you only use those "play/pause" or "next song" commands rarelly. The whole idea here, is that it only works when you activate that mode, i.e. your mouse always acts as normal, unless you press "back mouse button"+"right mouse button", and then, those other mouse buttons are bound to those other fuctions, untill you press that combination again, which makes the mouse be a normal mouse again.

The whole objective of this script, is making you not have to focus winamp, or use the keyboard when you want to go to the next music.

An idea i had originally was to create some other "modes", which you'd go through with each keypress of the activation hotkey. I.E. when you press the hotkey once, it'd activate multimedia mode, when you press it again, it'd go into another mode, and so on, untill it disarmed it completelly.

I sure am available for new ideas, of course, i was just explaining it a bit better, since i suspect people don't understand what this really does.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:19 PM »
ok i just installed this and its quite wonderful.

here's a tip for new users:
jgpaiva says: "back button"+"right-click button" at the same time
i found that this works perfect for me if i press both and hold for a second; if i try to quickly do it like i did at first it results in right click effects.  so just hold the two together for a second and its very natural and perfect.

really very nice.

if you don't have a volume control knob on your keyboard but you do have a scroll wheel on your mouse, and you listen to a lot of music, you NEED this program.

we need to make this a proper coding snack on coding snacks page as i predict some people will really want this.  i love the tooltip hints when its in operations, really great.

question:
i doubt this is possible, but thought i might request it if so:
would it be possible to have multimediate mouse mode temporarily active when i hold the ctrl+alt keys (or shift+ctrl keys, etc.) - i just thing for somethings like volume adjustment it would be nice not to have to toggle in and out of the mousemode but just hold that key combo down while wanting to engage it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:22 PM »
addendum, you dont have to hold them for a second, but press back button and keep held while you push right mouse button - that works well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:24 PM »
two more suggestions for perfection:
1) improve icon
2) show hint in system tray about how to toggle.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:50 PM »
Sorry, I think I was throwing a little too much at you at once there, let me try to say what I was talking about in a different way...

I like the idea very much! It really is a pain to have to bring winamp/wmp/zoom player to the front just to be able to change tracks/volume. I've personally been using the "universal hotkeys" plugin for winamp for years (it's now included by default). I'd bind Ctrl + Winkey + C to pause winamp, Ctrl + Winkey + B to go to the next track, etc. so that I could just hit the appropriate hotkey to control winamp.

So, I think something that might be cool, is to have the script also detect when winamp is the active application and turn on "Multimedia Mouse Mode" automatically. Then when winamp is minimized it would turn off M.M.M. automatically.

Then if that is possible, make the script recognize other programs, and turn on other mouse modes. Maybe a firefox mode, or a MS word mode. I used to have a program that would do this, and let me tell you, it was awesome! Problem is: it was buggy, and the author pretty much hasn't updated it in a year (and finding the actual newest release was hard). Also, it only worked for Logitech mice, and you had to get different versions for different mice.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:52 PM by Hirudin »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:41 AM »
two more suggestions for perfection:
1) improve icon
2) show hint in system tray about how to toggle.
Done! ;)

would it be possible to have multimedia mouse mode temporarily active when i hold the ctrl+alt keys (or shift+ctrl keys, etc.)
Done! :)

Check the top post for the links ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:46 AM by jgpaiva »

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:25 AM »
thanks for this superb script  :Thmbsup:

I like it really much.
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Hello,

I have a question:

I use a MS Wired 500 keyboard. Each time I change the volume with the keyboard, a volume bar shows up, which displays the change. But if I activate Multimediamouse.exe, this display vanish. Does anyone know how the volume bar can be brought back.
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 03:23 PM »
masu: you mean if you use multimediamouse, next time you change the volume with the keyboard, that volume bar doesn't come up? Or is it that when you use multimediamouse and change the volume, that bar doesn't come up?

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 02:37 PM »
masu: you mean if you use multimediamouse, next time you change the volume with the keyboard, that volume bar doesn't come up? Or is it that when you use multimediamouse and change the volume, that bar doesn't come up?

it's the second one
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 03:10 PM »
I see. Could you please confirm if the new version i attached to this post also does that?

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 01:35 PM »
thanks now it works partially.

- If I change the volume with the volume keys on my keyboard, the bar comes up as always.
this hasn't work before.

- But if I use my mousewheel, this bar doesn't show up.
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 04:21 PM »
I'm sorry masu, but i think that's as good as it gets :(

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41 PM »
thanks anyway  :Thmbsup:
your tool is a great help  :-*
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

DaNinjaSmurf

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Hey, great little mod. i love it! i'm having a small little problem. i activate it, everything works fine except the volume. I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7 and whenever i try to use the volume it changes itself and it won't effect my actual volume. so i'm not sure if there's anything i can do to change it myself. i've tried reshacker and a couple others and have failed. but otherwise everything is working great!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Hey, great little mod. i love it! i'm having a small little problem. i activate it, everything works fine except the volume. I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7 and whenever i try to use the volume it changes itself and it won't effect my actual volume. so i'm not sure if there's anything i can do to change it myself. i've tried reshacker and a couple others and have failed. but otherwise everything is working great!
-DaNinjaSmurf (April 01, 2012, 08:34 PM)

try running it in XP compatibility mode