topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Consumer Protection for Broadband Customers (FUNNY!)  (Read 4486 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
New Consumer Protection for Broadband Customers (FUNNY!)
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:04 AM »
This is just hilarious... Consumer protection at its finest~! :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../technology-15742055

Critics say consumers are being misled by internet service providers who continue to advertise their maximum broadband speeds, even though many users do not get them.

New rules from the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) say that from April next year providers will no longer be able to advertise maximum speeds for net packages unless 10% of customers receive them.

Hahahahaha~! ;D

That was a good laugh. For me at least.

Care to set the bar just a bit lower? That might be a bit difficult to achieve... Hahahahaha~! ;D :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Consumer Protection for Broadband Customers (FUNNY!)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:56 AM »
While it's tempting to laugh, I can't help but wonder what they're raising said bar (to 10%) from. 1%? Less?

Why is it we constantly have to spend (waste) so much time trying to make sure we're not getting screwed?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03 AM »
The worst part is, you just know that the way they are going to choose which 10% get the advertised maximum speed is by determining which users never actually use their internet connection more than once a month...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:14 AM »
The worst part is, you just know that the way they are going to choose which 10% get the advertised maximum speed is by determining which users never actually use their internet connection more than once a month...

And I thought I was cynical~! ;D

But you're probably right.

It would nice to see "expected speed with variance in standard deviations" advertised.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:34 AM »
It would nice to see "expected speed with variance in standard deviations" advertised.

Superficially a standard deviation would be nice (because sheeple can't grasp the whole traffic concept - even when they're stuck in it on the freeway...), but... (in reality) It would unfortunately only end up opening the door for Zero to be one of the standards it deviated to...More often than not.

So when the "freeway" grinds to a screeching halt (Speed=0) it will be construable as an acceptable part of the (fine printed) "Norm"...Because it is within the "standard".

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:50 AM »

Superficially a standard deviation would be nice (because sheeple can't grasp the whole traffic concept - even when they're stuck in it on the freeway...), but... (in reality) It would unfortunately only end up opening the door for Zero to be one of the standards it deviated to...More often than not.

So when the "freeway" grinds to a screeching halt (Speed=0) it will be construable as an acceptable part of the (fine printed) "Norm"...Because it is within the "standard".

I was thinking of speeds expressed something like this:

Expected Speed: 20 Mbps with a standard deviation of 2 Mbps

So, 50% would get speeds above 20, and 50% below.

You can't really game a system like that. If you start counting zeros, then you're widening the standard deviation, which is a bad thing. Ideally, consumer would ideally desire standard deviations that are very small. (The first "ideally" is to express that in an ideal world people understand basic concepts like this. :P )

So, if you have a 20 Mbps speed, with 20 Mbps standard deviation, you're highly likely to get zero speed. The left side of the graph will have an abrupt cut off, while the right side tapers and then has a small cut off.

As an example:

Provider A
100 Mbps with 50 Mbps SD

Provider B
80 Mbps with 15 Mbps SD

Provider B is a far better bet there.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 03:38 AM »

I actually get the advertised speed. I get every bit of the speed that I am paying for. Actually I get just slightly above that...

But anyone that has been in the DC IRC channel can tell you that I have one of the worst connections, ever, in the sense of stability. What good is speed if you can't stay connected long enough to use it? I might as well be back on dialup. All the time I waste reconnecting on DSL would even itself out with the waiting time to download files on dialup.

So that is who will get all the speed...the 10% of customers that have the most unstable connections.

Meaning, even when they don't screw you one way, they have others. That guy on their payroll whose job it is to stay awake every night and think up new ways to screw the customers (and their employees) earns every dollar he is paid.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 04:42 AM »
Meaning, even when they don't screw you one way, they have others. That guy on their payroll whose job it is to stay awake every night and think up new ways to screw the customers (and their employees) earns every dollar he is paid.

You remind me of a quote from the movie "Fallen":

http://www.imdb.com/...tle/tt0119099/quotes

NFSW
Azazel: [speaking to Hobbes in Syrian Aramaic] I can't get inside you by touch, but even when I can, when I'm spirit, I won't. No. Better I get you for real. I'll fuck you up, down, left, right, coming, going. I'll get so close to you, so close it breaks you. And if that doesn't work, I have other ways. I have so many, many ways.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 06:28 AM »
I was thinking of speeds expressed something like this:

Expected Speed: 20 Mbps with a standard deviation of 2 Mbps

I know... That's what should happen. But as App103 covered so nicely, I'm predicting what will happen. It's a numbers game, and the house always wins. Which is why CenturyLink is my former ISP...I just got tired of having to explain things to the mindless flowcharting drones.