ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Consumer Protection for Broadband Customers (FUNNY!)

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
This is just hilarious... Consumer protection at its finest~! :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15742055

Critics say consumers are being misled by internet service providers who continue to advertise their maximum broadband speeds, even though many users do not get them.

New rules from the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) say that from April next year providers will no longer be able to advertise maximum speeds for net packages unless 10% of customers receive them.
--- End quote ---

Hahahahaha~! ;D

That was a good laugh. For me at least.

Care to set the bar just a bit lower? That might be a bit difficult to achieve... Hahahahaha~! ;D :P

Stoic Joker:
While it's tempting to laugh, I can't help but wonder what they're raising said bar (to 10%) from. 1%? Less?

Why is it we constantly have to spend (waste) so much time trying to make sure we're not getting screwed?

mouser:
The worst part is, you just know that the way they are going to choose which 10% get the advertised maximum speed is by determining which users never actually use their internet connection more than once a month...

Renegade:
The worst part is, you just know that the way they are going to choose which 10% get the advertised maximum speed is by determining which users never actually use their internet connection more than once a month...
-mouser (November 16, 2011, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

And I thought I was cynical~! ;D

But you're probably right.

It would nice to see "expected speed with variance in standard deviations" advertised.

Stoic Joker:
It would nice to see "expected speed with variance in standard deviations" advertised.
-Renegade (November 16, 2011, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Superficially a standard deviation would be nice (because sheeple can't grasp the whole traffic concept - even when they're stuck in it on the freeway...), but... (in reality) It would unfortunately only end up opening the door for Zero to be one of the standards it deviated to...More often than not.

So when the "freeway" grinds to a screeching halt (Speed=0) it will be construable as an acceptable part of the (fine printed) "Norm"...Because it is within the "standard".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version