ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Someone's at Home - the Lights are On.

(1/1)

JennyB:
Amazing time-lapse video from the International Space Station shows the Aurora Borealis and massive lightning storms, but the most striking feature is the blazing artificial light from cities.

It's fun to try to work out which is where. In particular, what is that ribbon of light at about 3:47?

Stoic Joker:
In particular, what is that ribbon of light at about 3:47?-JennyB (November 14, 2011, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not a clue, but it is a rather fascinatingly long red line.

Deozaan:
Wow. I love the Auroras (Borealis and Australis) and the lightning storms. :Thmbsup:

No idea what that red ribbon of light is. :huh: It's shown again on the left at about 4:37.

EDIT: I counted the shots. The red ribbon of light is shown in these shots:

14. Views of the Mideast at Night

18. Eastern Europe to Southeastern Asia at Night

JennyB:
In particular, what is that ribbon of light at about 3:47?-JennyB (November 14, 2011, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not a clue, but it is a rather fascinatingly long red line.
-Stoic Joker (November 14, 2011, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

From the comments:
It's the India - Pakistan Border.
I couldn't see it in other nightmaps of the world, so it could be new. The line matches the Borderline if you look it up on a map, just inverted, so on the left is china (the blank area is the Gobi Desert) and on the far right is the arabian sea (or. indian ocean). The cities on the left, on the lower side must be lahore(7Milion People) and Multan (2,6Mil). On the upper left side the bigger bright blob could be New Delhi (13Mil. ppl in metro area).

--- End quote ---

Other things to watch for:

"UFOs" (actually satellites) at 1:39 and 3:59
2:03 is of the Mediterranean, featuring Italy, Sicily and Sardinia
2:40 the Nile Delta and Suez Canal

Original NASA footage

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version