ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Moving up to ESET NOD32 v5

<< < (6/8) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Why exactly does a printer driver demand access to the internet?-Tuxman (November 18, 2011, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

They don't; but it's a network printer ... and as usual the firewall doesn't make that kind of distinction. ;)

Tuxman:
Firewalls do, "firewalls" don't. Phrasing is important here! :)
These "suits" are just like the "Windows Firewall": Not very sophisticated packet filtering, but no firewall functionality at all.

Stoic Joker:
Firewalls do, "firewalls" don't. Phrasing is important here! :)
These "suits" are just like the "Windows Firewall": Not very sophisticated packet filtering, but no firewall functionality at all.
-Tuxman (November 18, 2011, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhapps, but the functionality available in a high-end, full zoot commercial firewall isn't necessary for an end user. Sure if you have publically hosted services that get thousands of hits an hour the full on SPI/Traffic shaping/etc., etc. shenanigans are all necessary & good. But that's not the case with a typical end user.

Most sheeple just need something to sit at the edge of their machine that will say no to (basically all) incoming connection requests, because they don't want to waste time typing/remembering anything more complicated than their dogs name for a password. And the Windows firewall does this just fine (end of need).

Outbound "filtering"? ...I've never seen giving end users choices end well. They either shoot themselves in the foot blocking something necessary, or get eaten alive by something that's trying to get out. The object is to prevent hostile code from getting on the box in the first place. And one of the simplest (processor time free) methods of doing that is to use DNS filtering ...(like OpenDNS).. Which is done at the network border, and does a suprisingly good job of keeping folks away from those infected banner farm servers.

Best way to avoid getting killed in battle, is to avoid battles.  :D

Cloq:
I quite like interactive "Personal Firewalls". I don't like applications "phoning home" without my knowledge or consent.

I am too dumb to comprehend half the EULA's that are out there assuming they even mention that the application/installer is going be sending/receiving information/updates behind the scenes.

It's amazing that amount "crap" that various applications pre-install (think auto update programs for instance) that I would have never realized (thereby wouldn't have known to remove/delete those extra apps) without an interactive "personal firewall".

Currently I am using Eset's ESS 5 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro. They both seem to play and behave well together.

ESS seems to be weak in removing and detecting malware (realtime) and for that Malwarebytes takes over.

Tuxman:
It's amazing that amount "crap" that various applications pre-install (think auto update programs for instance) that I would have never realized (thereby wouldn't have known to remove/delete those extra apps) without an interactive "personal firewall".-Cloq (November 19, 2011, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Might sound a bit harsh, but: Use your brain. A "personal firewall" is not meant to replace your own thinking. If you don't know what an application actually installs, use snapshots of your system. If you don't want to, I can't see your actual problem with that.

Oh: ESS is not made for malware detection, it features a virus scanner, not a "potentially unwanted software" scanner. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version