ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Moving up to ESET NOD32 v5

<< < (5/8) > >>

Stoic Joker:
... and MSE did not find malware, so you have none?-Tuxman (November 18, 2011, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Between that and the occasional spot checks with a variety of other utilities, yes. The key is in reduced permissions ... If the user doesn't have permission to break the machine, then neither does the bugg. It's Just. That. Simple.

Anything else is just a waste of processor time.

Tuxman:
edit, more worthy posting:

You use a couple of tools to check if MSE has left something but you don't want to change to some integrated solution (like paid AV)?

Stoic Joker:
I have seen many computers now running Norton, MacAfee, NOD32 suite, Avast Internet Security, AVG suite that have been infected and actually most of them were pretty open to attack because the users didn't know how to respond whan a pop-up says do you want to allow SVCHOST to access the internet etc.. Users either say  yes to everything or they say no to everything.-Carol Haynes (November 18, 2011, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

B~I~N~G~O!  :Thmbsup:

Our sales manager blew himself out of the water, just last week doing exactly that. (He thought he could "handle" an install by his-self...) Customer had a copy of I'm-On-Mc(crack)Afee and the firewall asked of app X couled access the internet ... He said clicked no. The app in question was the printer driver install he was in the process of running.

It was a 70 mile round trip (the next day) for me to go rescue is his ass.

Tuxman:
Why exactly does a printer driver demand access to the internet?

Stoic Joker:
So are "personal firewalls" or "suites" IMO.-Tuxman (November 18, 2011, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm no fan of software firewalls either, so I'll give you that. Unless one is dealing with a road warriors laptop, in which case something basic (like the Windows built in firewall) works just fine. Any other time firewalling should be done (by hardware) at the network border only.

Most of what a firewall purports to do is already covered by the "Turn off unused services" part of the 80-20 rule of information security. (e.g. There's no point in blocking a closed port)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version