topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Scrivener for Windows Discounts for November 2011  (Read 5118 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scrivener for Windows Discounts for November 2011
« on: November 13, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Anyone interested in using Scrivener for Windows for their NaNoWrMo entry - or for that matter anyone who just wants to purchase Scrivener for Windows at a discount - Literature and Latte is offering a 50% discount to NaNoWrMo winners and a 20% discount for anyone at all during NaNoWrMo 2011. For the 20% discount you just have to enter "NANOWRMO" - without the quotes naturally - in the coupon box during checkout. That brings Scrivener for Windows down from $40.00 USD to $32.00.

Jim

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Scrivener for Windows Discounts for November 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Thanks  :up: Might be time to buy it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:53 PM »
I bought it earlier today. First attempt to buy got an error message saying I didn't meet a pre-qualification or something like that. I went back and re-read the offer and finding nothing amiss there I tried again and it worked just fine! $32.00 total.

So if you at first get a weird error message just try it again - and don’t forget the discount code - and it'll work.   :)

Thanks!

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I see your problem... the code is "NANOWRIMO" (note the I...)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:49 AM »
I really like many of their UX ideas, and the fact that they use rtf and files instead of a proprietary binary blob.

The big problem I have with scrivener is that it seems custom-built to prevent sharing. Just read the horror stories on using dropbox... you need to close it on one computer to start working on another. And getting comments from another person not using scrivener means a roundtrip to word format or similar.

Writing outliner, their main competitor, has the 'proprietary binary blob' problem (an sqlite db, but still, not files that you can share without exporting first). However the author is going through a full rewrite that will make it use 'normal' files, which would make it preferable for me.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I really like many of their UX ideas, and the fact that they use rtf and files instead of a proprietary binary blob.

The big problem I have with scrivener is that it seems custom-built to prevent sharing. Just read the horror stories on using dropbox... you need to close it on one computer to start working on another. And getting comments from another person not using scrivener means a roundtrip to word format or similar.

Writing outliner, their main competitor, has the 'proprietary binary blob' problem (an sqlite db, but still, not files that you can share without exporting first). However the author is going through a full rewrite that will make it use 'normal' files, which would make it preferable for me.

That's not a problem with scrivener, that's a problem with the way that dropbox handles files.  There was previously something to do with the resource fork on the mac and that causing issues as dropbox didn't sync that, but that's fixed as of dropbox 0.8.  There's another problem in that scrivener has the files open all the time, and dropbox does some pretty wonky things with those, like renaming files to myfilename-currentcomputername.ext.  Other apps that keep files open have the same problem- try using a sync program with a live visual studio project, and you'll see the fireworks start.  Use scrivener locally, sync that to dropbox, then use it locally somewhere else works.  Some apps just aren't compatible with having multiple copies editing the same file at the same time because they keep a lock.  That's why word has that sharing setting that's been getting better over the years.

There's also the alternative that they put in to address this- using simplenote.  Simplenote is a free service, and the syncing with Scrivener works.  The reason this works is that the syncing is controlled.  I'm not sure if multiple people have the same note open how that particular problem is resolved.  But for syncing your own project across multiple computers, it's gold.  And I hope that they put it in the windows version soon!

I also have and use writing outliner, and I think that even once he does a rewrite to get rid of the proprietary slob problem, you'll see the same problem.  It's the workflow, not the app.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Ouch! I didn't notice I had the discount code screwed up. Sorry about that to all who tried it. Oddly enough as I mentioned above my second attempt at purchase worked fine, so I guess I must have input it incorrect and then correctly.

Thanks wraith for the catch!     :Thmbsup:

Jim