ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Gmail annoyances - can they be fixed using add-ons, Stylish and Userscripts?

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
@J-Mac:

+ 1 fom me for what you write there.     :up:

I am using the Styles I posted about in the OP, but they seem to be so S-L-O-W.

brotherS:
Annoyances? I LOVE GMAIL! :D (But I guess you guys are talking about this "Switch to the new look" popup in GMail that's tempting me to click it for a week now, so far without any success)

My responses in bold following your comment text:
They've upgraded all their UI's across their services (YouTube really blows now).
Sure, you can have the new HD themes, but jeez those are annoying.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well, YouTube is arguably the only decent Google interface now, but there's still the bad ergonomics, and all that white which makes you reach for a pair of snow-goggles - all of which is definitely breaking some cardinal rules for good layout design. You could put that down to ignorance, I suppose - they could make bigger mistakes - e.g., Buzz, Wave...     ;)

I do hate that the text buttons were replaced with icons. At least give ME the choice! Also, the bottom row of REPLY/FORWARD/DELETE buttons of each email was removed. So I created a better keyboard shortcut for deletion (at https://mail.google.com/mail/#settings/shortcuts).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yes, I can't understand them mucking about with the buttons/text like that - and that's just more breaking some cardinal rules for good layout design.
By the way, re those missing REPLY/FORWARD/DELETE buttons: I presume that you know that REPLY/FORWARD are now in the reply text field?
But the missing DELETE - that's another mistake IMHO. Even though I don't usually use it, it was handy (good ergonomics). I would usually use the standard "#" key (i.e., Shift+3 key combo) for DELETE anyway.
-zridling (November 13, 2011, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
-IainB (November 13, 2011, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

For increased readability you might want to split up the quoted text instead and reply regularly, it's almost as quick. :)

IainB:
@brotherS: Yes, sorry.
I was just trying to reply quickly and work around the constipated quoting system on this Board.
For expediency, I'd probably do similarly under similar circumstances in future.

brotherS:
@brotherS: Yes, sorry.
I was just trying to reply quickly and work around the constipated quoting system on this Board.
For expediency, I'd probably do similarly under similar circumstances in future.
-IainB (November 19, 2011, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm... "constipated quoting system"? Not sure what you mean, always worked flawlessly for me.

Maybe you get slowed down by using the buttons in the editing mode? If needed, I only use copy and paste to chop up quotes in smaller portions.

J-Mac:
If you prefer copy/paste with bold and colors to show your quotes, you can still do it like that but add the following:

Whatever you want to show as quoted, surround it with [ quote ] before the first word and [ /quote ] after the last word. (Note: I added spaces between the bracket and the word "quote" so that the code would show. Eliminate those spaces when actually quoting something).

For example, if you want to show "Well, YouTube is arguably the only decent Google interface now," as a quote, then do it like this:

[ quote ] Well, YouTube is arguably the only decent Google interface now, [ /quote ]  (without the spaces, remember!)   to get...

Well, YouTube is arguably the only decent Google interface now,
--- End quote ---

HTH!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version