ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Help Reader that can read both .chm and .hlp?

(1/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
I recommended a free help reader I found online a couple of years ago that could read both .hlp and .chm formats.  I can't recall the name of it though.

Anyone familiar with such a dual format help reader freeware?

rgdot:
Found this

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27980.msg262032#msg262032

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the reply.  But this was a few years ago when MS released Vista with no WinHlp32.exe on the machines.  I found some freeware that could display both the .hlp and .chm formats.  But I can't find a reference, bookmark, or download that rings a bell.

It's terrible when the memory acts up. :)

IainB:
On my Win7-64:
.HLP files (this is an old/obsolete standard format) are opened by Microsoft Help.
.CHM files (this is the current standard) are opened by Microsoft HTML Help Executable.

I have recently been playing around with programs that can output to these formats, but I have not come across a proggy that can write to both or will read both.
I would be interested to know if you find anything like this.

MilesAhead:
I found this one:

http://download.cnet.com/Help-Explorer-Viewer/3000-6675_4-10666661.html?tag=mncol;1

I don't think it was the one I was looking for.  I saw a comment on another board that it's "shareware" that's gone out of development. The comment stated that it doesn't expire though. According to the sales copy it can read .hlp and htmlhelp 1.0 and 2.0.

I could get a download from that site.  But since I don't need it I haven't installed. I was just looking since someone was having problems getting WinHlp32.exe to work on Vista.  Drove me crazy I couldn't remember the other help reader. I could have sword it had a 'k' in the name somewhere.  But I can't find any download or the program on my system.

Oh well. If you try this one let me know if it works. If it's good I'll recommend to others before c-net pulls the download.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version