topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Panel Update Problem  (Read 4352 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Panel Update Problem
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:02 AM »

I'm seeing a problem with the Screenshot panel not updating consistently after I have taken a screenshot.
Used to, the filename would immediately be displayed in the panel as a list or thumbnail depending on my setting.  Recently it is not being updated at the same time as the capture in the main window is shown.  It doesn't appear SC is missing the capture because if I exit and re-start they then appear in the panel.  Or if I change to a different path and then back using the GoTo folder menu.  I've tried this using the Stay Minimized and PopUp Choice Dialog settings. Exiting and re-starting SC each time I make a change. 

Is anyone else seeing this?  Or could my machine be causing it for some reason?

Using SC v2.102.02 on XP Pro SP3.

Thanks,

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Panel Update Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Someone mentioned on another post a similar problem -- I'm going to look into it here -- I have an idea for something to try that might fix it.

This is one of those tricky problems that is hard to reproduce.

Question: How many screenshots do you have in your thumbnail panel?

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Question: How many screenshots do you have in your thumbnail panel?

In the folder I was testing when I posted there are now 28.  Re-testing as I write with a new empty folder.  The 1st capture displayed in the panel just fine.  The next 4, 20 to 30 seconds apart didn't display until I changed to a different folder and back again.  About 4 minutes later a new capture displayed fine.  This was the 1st new capture after the folder change.
Currently I'm up to 10 captures. Now 12.
Here's what it seems to be doing.  I go back and forth (using GoTo) between two folders until the last capture (or series of captures) taken is showing in the panel.  I go back and forth between the two folders once more and it will immediately (a second or so) display the new capture.  Each one after that starts backing up until I swap folders again plus one additional "clean" swap that I know will not show anything new.
Hope this makes sense.  :huh:

EDIT:
I'm up to 20 captures in the test folder and now the "clean" swap no longer helps either.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:42 PM by bob99 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:38 PM »
well it sounds like you have a reliable problem on your hands -- which in a way is good -- i'll try to get a new beta to you in next day or two to test.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:42 PM »
A few additional but interesting inquiries, to help nail the issue and possibly exclude external causes:
  • Where is the folder holding these screenshots located, on a disk connected through (e)SATA or on a network- or USB- connected disk?
  • Do the files appear with the same speed in Explorer, or does that also take some time?

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Thanks Mouser.  I'll watch for it.
Answers below may also provide some clue.

A few additional but interesting inquiries, to help nail the issue and possibly exclude external causes:
  • Where is the folder holding these screenshots located, on a disk connected through (e)SATA or on a network- or USB- connected disk?
  • Do the files appear with the same speed in Explorer, or does that also take some time?

These are being saved to my internal drive on laptop. NTFS.

Continued the test but also with XYPlorer window open to the same folder.  Each additional test capture showed up just after it was taken in the XYP folder.  Didn't appear in Screenshot panel until I did the swap with GoTo.

Update:
To make sure it wasn't XYP related, I tried the test using Windows Explorer with same results.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:10 PM by bob99, Reason: Added update »