topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LBC+FARR = Metro UI alternative  (Read 4994 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LBC+FARR = Metro UI alternative
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:45 PM »
I know mouser has talked about merging FARR and LBC in the past years.  After seeing a demonstration of Windows 8 Metro UI, I'm absolutely convinced it is nothing more than a fancy launcher.  I love the concept of grid layouts for organizing your screen's content, I've mentioned it before for websites.  It's a really great way to make a touch interface.

If FARR and LBC could be merged together, it would really offer everything all these companies are struggling with as far as touch interfaces.  Apple has it pretty good, with how smooth theirs is.  The proprietary overlays on the Android devices are consistently sluggish and not very elegant.  People are making a HUGE deal about metro UI, which is puzzling to me because I don't see it being any more important or "big" of an idea than LBC.  Imagine if the front page of all the tech magazines were freaking out about LBC, or FARR, or Truelaunchbar...that's what it feels like to me.  It's really not that big of a deal to me.

Anyway, right now LBC can organize all the toolbar contents using a tree hierarchy and the several toolbar display options.  All that would need to be added is a grid layout management area somehow, and it would be everything Metro UI is trying to be.  if you wanted to get really fancy, you can make widgets or plugins (like in FARR) to do interesting things inside each tile, like show an animated gif, or a video, or some live text/graphics.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LBC+FARR = Metro UI alternative
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:46 PM »
LBC + FARR + GridMove == Metro!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 04:55 PM »
LBC + FARR + GridMove == Metro!
I hadn't thought of that, interesting!  Have you tried it?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:56 PM »
I was loading up my vm as you replied :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:57 PM »
All that,
and some effort went into WinButtons as nudone designed a metro like configuration with borderless buttons and window, and playing a bit with colors and images it comes quite close. The last couple of screenshots show it like that.