ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Pledge & Final Release: Tell When Done

(1/7) > >>

anandcoral:
NANY 2012 Entry Information
Application Name Tell When Done Version 1.6.0 Short Description Watches a program window, which is doing some process, and tells when it has done it's processing. Effectively freeing the user to do another job in another window, without worrying about it. Supported OSes WinXp and above Web Page https://sites.google.com/site/tellwhendone/ Download Link https://sites.google.com/site/tellwhendone/home/download Author Anand K Gupta

Description
Many a times I run a program which does some process and displays a report/log etc. This program just shows a spinner/marquee which means I may have to wait 1/10/30 etc. minutes depending on the process. It also happens that I need to take next step after it has completed the process. Some programs do show some notification alert if it is in the background but many do not.

Now while watching the spinner, I feel like having a quick look at my Twitter stream/ Facebook notification/ New unread mail etc. So I just switch to another window do the look and switch back to find that the process is still going on.

I do this switching and at one time get so engrossed in reading new mail and its link that I forget when 20 minutes has gone by. I suddenly realize and switch back to find the program has done it's processing long time back.

Enough. I am the master of the computer and not the other way around. I want all programs to tell me when it has done it's process, so that I can concentrate on useful work instead of looking at a spinner.

Tell When Done is born.

Pressing Win+t (changeable) hotkey on the program which is doing some process, activates it to watch it and tell me when it has done the process. The notification is displayed above all windows so that I can not miss it.

Regards,

Anand

Ath:
That's quite useful :Thmbsup:

I have a lot of tasks just like that, and waiting for them to finish, twiddling my thumbs, is quite annoying. I'll try TellWhenDone and report my findings here.

ewemoa:
This sounds great!

Any chance of recording and reporting the total time related to observing the processing?

On a tangential note, I didn't find a checksum on the download page (e.g. MD5, SHA1, etc.).  Is there something there?

Ath:
I'm curious how the activity is measured.
Is it based on CPU load or something else? as I use quite some Client/Server apps, where the load is on the server (ofcourse) so the client isn't very busy, but I still have to wait for it to finish. And there also isn't a wait cursor in all cases.

anandcoral:
@ewemoa, I will put the checksum on the website next time, also will change the App to report the total time, thanks.

@Ath, it is based on CPU load, as that is the only measurement for all process in general. I will like to hear how it works in client/server setup.

Regards,

Anand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version