ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Smartphones, Tablets, E-Readers Become Physically Heavier With More Data

(1/2) > >>

wraith808:
Smartphones, Tablets, E-Readers Become Physically Heavier With More Data [The More Apps, Ebooks, Information You Add to Your Kindle, Android or iOS Device, the Heavier it Gets]

I'm skeptical... can someone with more knowledge of the physics involved chime in?

Eóin:
Sounds suspicious to me, but if flash memory does have more energy when used then I suppose it makes sense.

Of course "used" doesn't really make much sense, memory has just as much information when empty as when full, it's just usually the empty memory isn't really of much interest to us. Rather I guess it a question of whether storing a 1 in memory requires more energy then a 0, or vis-versa.

If one of those is more energetic, does the memory usually start off predominantly filled with the other, then I guess adding the more energetic type through structured data, which on average probably tends to a 50:50 spread, would increase the mass.

Krishean:
But consider the amount of data being transmitted around the world, such as through broadband cables, datacenters and ISPs. Does this make the world substantially heavier?
--- End quote ---

No, because the energy being used to create all this data is converted from matter on earth. The only way the earth gets heavier is because of energy from the sun and stars, and matter from comets and meteorites. And every time we send up a satellite or broadcast a signal into space we slightly reduce the weight of the earth. While it may be true that the energy stored in devices makes them heavier, it has no effect on the weight of the earth.

Stoic Joker:
Rather I guess it a question of whether storing a 1 in memory requires more energy then a 0, or vis-versa.
-Eóin (November 07, 2011, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what it boils down to for me (at the platter level). It's a "magnetic" drive, so 1 or 0 is either North or South. Hence a formatted drive which is already all zeros is about as energetic as it's going to get. You can modify what's there, but you can't really add to it...as it's already full of zeros.

wraith808:
Rather I guess it a question of whether storing a 1 in memory requires more energy then a 0, or vis-versa.
-Eóin (November 07, 2011, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what it boils down to for me (at the platter level). It's a "magnetic" drive, so 1 or 0 is either North or South. Hence a formatted drive which is already all zeros is about as energetic as it's going to get. You can modify what's there, but you can't really add to it...as it's already full of zeros.
-Stoic Joker (November 07, 2011, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hah!  That makes a lot of sense!  My skepticism has been vindicated!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version