ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

How I set up my mail folders

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
hirudin made some fantastic points.
as someone who has 10 or so different email accounts support for multiple accounts is a big deal to me as well.

(thebat offers a nice threaded conversation view as well).

m_s:
Hirudin, thanks for your post - some good stuff there: I'm very interested to hear how you get along with The Bat!  BTW, is that last thing about Ritlabs selling info true - can you post a link to a story?

Here's a thing that was mentioned on Lifehacker last week, allowing you to upload email to gmail: http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/default.htm  Seems your wish has been granted.  I'm a gmail believer, though I am a little uncomfortable with all their world dominance... 

I'm surprised so few people ever mention 30gigs.com webmail - now that's real storage...  But then I have an account, and I've not got around to setting it up yet, so maybe that's what happens for others too.

brotherS:
I'm a gmail believer, though I am a little uncomfortable with all their world dominance... 

I'm surprised so few people ever mention 30gigs.com webmail - now that's real storage...  But then I have an account, and I've not got around to setting it up yet, so maybe that's what happens for others too.
-m_s (January 16, 2006, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
When it comes to email I want to use only companies where I can be sure they are still around next year :)

Sure, Google Mail scans your emails and displays ads every now and then - but it's a free service! I don't mind.

jgpaiva:
Whoa Hirudin, you are even more committed to mail clients than I'm to gmail! (who's paying you? ;) )
I can see your point about the privacy thing with google,but there, i can tell you that if you're using gmail's pop,you've got the same result,even though the mail gets sent by pop,it still gets stored in gmail and even if you say you want it to be deleted in gmail, they still have access to it (it happened to a friend of mine's friend, that deleted a very important mail, and asked google if there was a way to get it back. next day,there it was.. *spooky!*). Anyways, I'm not really afraid of those privacy issues of google, since all all in all, what they give me is much better than what i give them.But if you're against google, what i can say to you is: do not use gmail, no way!
I see your point about the space. And that's true if you only receive text e-mails and not much spam,but imagine if you receive 10 e-mails with 10MB attachments that in the end you find out you really didn't want to have and you end up deleting. Wouldn't it be better to delete them at the source? And spam, you still download it, if you've got much spam, it could create a real loss (i had an account in a Portuguese mailer that i had to cancel because of too much spam,it would fill the inbox in about 1 week :S).
I don't really know this for sure, but i have the idea that downloading an e-mail with attachments though email client also takes more time than checking it in webmail (it happened to me in the time i used e-mail clients, maybe it doesn't work like that)
What i was referring about the sent mail is if the sent mail through the email client gets stored in the webmail. You wouldn't have access to it online. I thought it didn't, my fault (it seems that my former webmail client was really bad, too :S)

Actually, the last two things you mentioned are two of the most interesting capabilities about gmail:
1) you have the possibility to import and export contacts
2) you can re-direct your email to another email
Which means that when you're tired of gmail,you can redirect it somewhere else, and export your contacts list...

@mouser: I know what you mean about having many e-mail accounts, but if they all had this feature of having re-direction,you could re-direct the all to only one account, and have them all centered :D

@m_s: gml is an interesting app, maybe it will be usefull to Hirudin when i can  finally have him turn to gmail, right Hirudin? ;);)

(ps: that thing about mentioning the space of the antivirus...Until last week, I didn't have one, but anyways, i just got a bit carried away ;) )

m_s:
re Gmail adverts, there are Greasemonkey scripts that very effectively clear away distractions from your inbox - I think the main one is the Google Butler, which not only cleans Gmail inboxes, but also any web searches.  It's a bit cheeky, because of course you're not playing your part of the deal, which is to bear with advertising - and after all, their part of the deal is very well delivered: an excellent email service.  Here's an excellent list of Greasemonkey scripts: http://dunck.us/collab/GreaseMonkeyUserScripts

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version